Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Greg hates the forum
Your Norton software isn't crazy. I just got a nice note from my ISP that some of my files have malware. I have to delete them or my ISP will be shut down. The list is hundreds of pages long. I guess I know what I will be doing for the rest of the day.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Okay, this section has been scrubbed clean. Only 4 more Wordpress sites to go.
Quote:Norton blocked an attack by:
Web Attack: Exploit Toolkit
Website 32

This flag is popping up every few seconds whenever I'm on the forum here. Sad
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Sigh. I probably missed a file.
Another possibility -- and I say this without much knowledge of such things -- is that some of the DOOM pages could be cached on DM's machine. In that case, the warnings DM is seeing could be self-inflicted, like an amateur wielding nunchuckas.

Just saying that when it comes to computers, answers and solutions are seldom straightforward, and uncertainty often prevails.
I'm nobody's pony.
I'm down to only 1500 infected files in my web empire. One of which was a forum file and has now been deloused. Take that Norton! (I know. you are still going to get flags)
I'm posting from home now, so I can't check for cleanliness...
I have grown tired of the 5-10 new user registration emails I get everyday from spambots, so I have turned off registration. I know you will all be quite disappointed.
I've adopted similar strategies with many of our web assets. The spambots usually go away a month or so after. Or you could add some sort of question or captcha.

On the odd chance that we ever do enlist some fresh meat, I assume you can override then.
Of course.

I have captcha. Doesn't seem to stop them.
We had captcha for a while on KFM. It never quite worked right, so we switched to a random question. That has worked well to keep the spambots at bay, for the most part.

We were getting flooded by spambots on our calendar and our Tiger Claw blog. The calendar situation got so bad, we had to shut it down for a few months, but now it seems okay. The blog is wordpress, so we've been tossing them into our spam bin and they seemed to have subsided for now.
All I can say about Wordpress is I think their Jetpack plugin is the portal through which I get hacked. Just finished cleaning up the Badass Bunny site from yet another malware incursion.
I hate wordpress. I find it ugly and rigid. Patrick has a super hard-on for it and is trying to convert all our sites to be wordpress based, so I appreciate your insights on the matter.
For some reason I am getting a message the board is disabled. Can't find out why.
It is always fun to try and come online to the forum and be greeted with SQL error.