Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

rogue concept trailer.  not official.  

it's that weekend. been surfing for SDCC trail drops (obviously) and stumbled on to this.  

i should really put SDCC on my bucket list.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Finally saw this, but I haven't seen Force Awakens so I was in the dark about some things. But-

BOMBERS IN SPACE?! WTF?! Was everyone working on the movie that stupid? And why did everyone else have to be trained to use the Force, but Rey could do it without any? I don't buy it. And lots of special effects shots that dragged on. It could have been tighter.

Otherwise fair, better than I expected. Not as much deliberate echoing of the older movies like there was in Rogue One (which I thought overall better), although there was the silly scene of flying through the crevasse, and that was dumb the first time.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I rewatched this again recently with Stacy because we weren't sure if she saw it or not.  She thinks she did but she's not sure. She's that into Star Wars like me and Tara. For me, it's the best of the 3rd trilogy, mostly because it has Yoda.  The side story of Finn and Rose getting del Toro is a longwinded waste of an arc.  I get Capt Phasma a little more now, being post GoT, but she's another waste of an arc.  The 3rd trilogy has so many flaws, but not as many as the 2nd trilogy. Also, given my Yoda nickname and the Jedi Nite Krew moniker in the festival scene, I'm really feeling the whole 'last jedi' thing.
(01-15-2018, 10:47 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: If you watch it chronologically, it fails.  That game-changing 'I'm your father' mcguffin doesn't work at all.

I’m eating my words on this one. I mean our gen got the best Star Wars experience because we saw it from the beginning and witnessed the father reveal before spoilers were a thing. But watching them chronologically has its own weird merit - how the characters play out over such long story arcs (and executed somewhat sideways) is interesting in its own weird way.

I stand behind my 2020 review above. It says pretty much what I was going to say. I’ll add that the Rey/Ren relationship worked better for me this time and I’m not exactly sure why. 

Hamill’s performance struck me as more emotive - I know he had his issues with it but disregarding that it works as the 5th Luke movie. Shatner recently redid his Kirk death on Kimmel (which I agree about the original being lame) but Luke’s death is alright. I liked how he was looking at the horizon sunset just like he did in E IV - that Easter egg struck home. At the beginning, he looks to the horizon with hood for the future. Throughout Yoda keeps telling him that he’s not in the present, too busy looking to the horizon, and in the end, he looks to the horizon again after a life well lived and after dropping the best Jedi mind trick ever. 

Billie Lourd really stood out to me in this viewing. Not that her performance was outstanding, it’s just I recognize her more now.

One thing I’ll say about the third trilogy. It was made for the trailer. There’s some many great scenes that were awesome in the trailers. The rest seemed like fill to get from each of those scenes to the next.

I’ve seen the third trilogy the least and it makes galaxy’s edge make more sense. One of the things that stood out for me at GE was that there were a lot of cargo boxes as decor, especially in those long lines for the rides. I know road boxes from my work at concerts and a lot of those cargo boxes were just regular cargo cases with some Star warsy panels glued to the side. I commented on them a lot in line. But there’s a lot of cargo boxes in the third trilogy because the resistance is on the run and always moving stuff. 

The biggest gap in my Star Wars fandom is that I’ve never watched Star Wars Resistance. I started it and I liked its anime style but it’s about BB8, Poe and the period just preceding the third trilogy and it just didn’t fly with me. Maybe I should give it another pass. Can’t be as bad as Young Jedi Adventures. 

Just one more film to go in this post-galaxy’s edge binge. It’s been a good ride and I’m glad to have undertaken it.
Then on to George Lucas in Love to see where it all started...

--tg