Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
So my boss spontaneously gathered those that wanted to go and took us to an 11AM showing of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

No iMax, no 3D.

I liked it better than "Force Awakens" and "Rogue One".
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Thx 4 no spoilers.

So u blew off DOOM Xmas 2017 or this? I suppose that's understandable.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I concur with ED - best of the new films so far. I was quite entertained by the abundance of Easter eggs. Liked the new characters more than I thought I would, even the Porgs. There could have been more porgs. And I was craving a 'bad feeling about this' line. But otherwise enjoyable.

Wait...bb8 had the bad feeling? All these years of Star Wars nerdiness and I still don't speak droid.
I give it a solid "meh". I liked Rogue-One better.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Interesting review from a Jewish culture magazine: Reform Jediism
the hands that guide me are invisible
some people are way overthinkin this.

all i can say is SPOILER ALERT the emperor's royal guard now have guandaos & chain whips. END SPOILER
Soon, I too, will be able to play. Very soon
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I like it. The Yeti just hates fun.

He's still mad about what happened to his bro back in ESB.

[Image: giphy.webp]
Lady Cranefly had a dentist appointment this morning.  She got her teeth cleaned, and had a tooth checked that will need to have a new filling.

Just thought I'd mention that.

--cranefly

Oh, wait.  There's a bit more.  Lynn, the tooth-cleaning lady, had seen Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and started talking about it.  Lady Cranefly desperately wanted to tell her not to give any spoilers, but her mouth was jammed full of drills, saws, and picks.  Alas, and so it goes.  The Lady would not divulge any of what she was told, except with regard to Mark Hamill.  In particular, Lynn said, "Oh, Mark's brother is one of my patients."  The Lady asked for clarification.  Yep, Mark Hamill's brother is a patient of Lynn's.  "Also his nephew," Lynn added.  "In fact, he'll be coming in shortly to get his teeth cleaned."

Such a small world.

Afterwards, as the Lady was headed out to her car, a huge black SUV was rolling into the lot, the windows down, stereo cranked all the way up playing the Star Wars theme song.

Okay.  I made that very last little bit up.  But everything else is the truth.
I'm nobody's pony.
I enjoyed it. I want to see it again.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Still haven't seen The Last Jedi, but noticed this article.  Chollywood remains a hard nut for Hollywood to crack.

I sense this deserves some very deep rumination.  No time right now, but perhaps later.
Quote:China Box Office: 'Jumanji' Clobbers Competition With $40M, 'Last Jedi' Crashes and Burns

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c...ns-1074677
I'm nobody's pony.
China has always hated Star Wars.  I believe it's because they got Phantom Menace first.  If you watch it chronologically, it fails.  That game-changing 'I'm your father' mcguffin doesn't work at all.
(01-15-2018, 10:47 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: China has always hated Star Wars.  I believe it's because they got Phantom Menace first.  If you watch it chronologically, it fails.  That game-changing 'I'm your father' mcguffin doesn't work at all.

That's a very simplistic explanation that you've spouted before -- and I think you're completely right.  I keep wanting to believe there's some secret formula to be unraveled with sufficient deep thought ... when in fact I'm just overcomplicating things for no good reason.  A bad habit of mine.

One would think that the Chinese could just jump aboard at any stage in Star Wars and enjoy its visuals and characters.  I mean, there's a proliferation of Asian movies with countless sequels, and you can pretty much jump around and watch them in any order, because they're standalone.  So I keep thinking the same applies to Star Wars.  But Lucas belabors an over-arching plot to such a degree that it doesn't lend itself as well to watching out of order.
I'm nobody's pony.
On the second viewing, I will have to give it a solid meh as well. I can see why Hamill really didn't like the direction his character took, despite the bad ass ending.

It just seemed off to me. I guess I wasn't blinded by the massive special effects. Also, it would be nice if the bad guys learned a little subtlety about being bad. Maybe find some motivations for why they are doing what they are doing.