Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juno, Alaska
The fireweed is getting close to full bloom, means 6 more weeks of summer.  Better hurry.
Okay, our itinerary is fixed.
Fly to Juneau August 31; fly back Sept. 7.
I'm nobody's pony.
Juneau?

No, I didn't.

[rimshot]
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
In Juneau.
9/1/2016: We suffered a 7.1 earthquake today.  We couldn't stop laughing throughout, despite being told that this wasn't a ride and that we should take matters seriously.  Note: You cannot move anywhere in such a quake; it's like riding a bull, where you just get whiplashed time and again without being able to recover.  Other events, but really need to go to bed.

We're going fishing (by boat) early tomorrow (Friday), in the channel or maybe the ocean. We'll be fishing for halibut using herring as bait.  At least that's what I'm told.

Later on we plan to do some stream-fishing.  But that will be from shore and will likely include bear encounters.  Our hosts believe I need a little more preparation before taking part in this expedition.  It may happen Monday or Tuesday.

No bear sightings yet, but some posted warnings of a black bear in the area that has shown hostility towards humans and dogs.

Good night.
I'm nobody's pony.
Just to be clear, that is a bear warning not a beer warning?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Remember what I said - apply the bear repellent liberally, especially on your soft and tenders because those are the tastiest bits to bears.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
No Juno, but here's the bear cam:

--tg
Shouldn't somebody also point out that at this moment, NASA's Juno mission is also beaming back photos from it's trip?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Quote:63-year-old Japanese man fights off bear with karate
11:03 a.m. ET

[Image: GettyImages-57248072.jpg]
ALEXANDER NEMENOV/AFP/Getty Images

Most people don't respond to charging bears by fighting back. Yet rather than run from a snarling Asian black bear, one Japanese man decided to put his karate skills to the ultimate test.

Atsushi Aoki, 63, was fishing in the mountains when the bear attacked him. "The bear was so strong, and it knocked me down," Aoki told Tokyo Broadcasting System. Aoki took up a karate fighter stance, putting his right fist in front of him, and punched at the bear's eyes, which made the beast retreat.

"I thought it's either 'I kill him or he kills me,'" Aoki said. After fending off the bear, he was able to get back to his car and drive to the hospital to treat the wounds on his head, arm, and leg.

"[Aoki] drove himself to the hospital and even remembered to grab the fish that he had caught," a police officer told Agence France-Presse. Jeva Lange
Going to bed soon.  Getting up at 4 am to head off fishing.  Bears have been elusive, but this might do it.

One salmon run isabout finished, another one will begin soon.  I think we're catching the tail end of the coho run.  Also going after trout.  Cutthroat?  Don't remember.
I'm nobody's pony.
Remember to use your kung-fu when encountering bears. The karate practitioners say that kung-fu is weak against bears! You cannot let them dishonor the name of Kung-fu! You must defeat the bear using your superior Northern Lights Style!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Lady Cranefly and I are back in Juneau for about a week for a family reunion of sorts.  Not a vacation.  A critical family illness on Lady Cranefly's side.

More later.
I'm nobody's pony.
Hoping that all goes serenely for you two, and that your journey is safe.