Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This forum is on the brink of extinction
i store my memories here. if the forum dies, i'll be just another amnesia case.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The website is still honked up. It only took me twenty minutes to finally get a clear connection. That wasn't tiresome at all. Too bad I forgot all the pithyness in the mean time.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I run Microsoft Security Essentials for my anti-virus software. Starting a day or so ago, it's been detecting and quarantining an item on every page I go to on Doom. I don't notice a problem on any other website I go to, and I go to some really really questionable and despicable sites. So I'm thinking this may be a legitimate issue and not just a false positive.

What's happening, from what I can understand, is that when I go to a page on Doom, my computer caches it on my hard drive, and Security Essentials scans and detects a problem with it, and promptly quarantines it. Again, this happens on every page I go to. This suggests some questionable HTML at the root level (involving Iframes).

Now I'm afraid to go to my own web site, because I know Greg and I use the same ISP. If it's got the same problem, then our ISP has once again been hacked.

Okay, just checked my website. It seems okay.

Here's what Security Essentials is reporting for Doom:

Exploit:HTML/IframeRef.Z

Category: Exploit

Description: This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items:
file:C:\Documents and Settings\Cranefly\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8pretoog.default\Cache\0\38\6B1F1d01

Get more information about this item online.
I'm nobody's pony.
Yikes. I will check it out. Thanks.

Is it on every page?
I had Google check my site for Malware and I got a clean bill. Which of course means nothing. But I went through the files and nothing jumped out at me as suspicious.

I do know that youTube videos make use of the iFrame nomenclature to put videos on web pages.

I will keep checking.
cranefly Wrote:I run Microsoft Security Essentials for my anti-virus software.

So do I (on my PC) and I haven't run into a report of any issue when visiting the Doom site. I'll check it again in the a.m. when I'm near my PC (on the iPad now).
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
My suspicion would be that you have a rogue iframe tag in your index.php file. That would explain why my anti-virus detects a problem on every topic I go to, because the index.php file gets run each time.

I looked at your index.php file, and there's just one iframe at the very bottom, which looks like this:

<iframe src="index.php_files/in.xhtml" height="1" width="1"></iframe>

What's a bit suspicious about this is that it's an iframe that is just 1 pixel wide by 1 pixel high. This is a characteristic of iframe exploits, because the iframe is not noticeable on the page. The question is, what is in the file in.xhtml? It appears to be a mozilla file that does malware checking of some sort. I can't really evaluate it in its entirety, but am leaning towards thinking it's legit.

So I'm thinking maybe you're okay, and you just have an iframe statement that Security Essentials is overly suspicious of.
I really don't know for sure.

Sorry if I was crying wolf.
I'm nobody's pony.
Nope. You are fully justified in bringing these concerns to my attention. I'd rather be clean.
In the middle of the night I had this dream. I was sitting at a dinner table looking down at a plate of meatballs. This knight in black armor sat across from me. At least he looked sort of like a knight. He seemed to have asthma, because I could hear him breathing. I had no idea how I was going to eat meatballs with a knife. Then this ghostly voice came out of nowhere, saying, "Clear your cache, Luke. Clear your cache." (In my dreams, my name is usually Luke. Don't know why.)

So this morning when I got up, I fixed some meatballs and ate them for breakfast using my hands. Then I cleared my cache in Firefox.

No more Security Essentials objections. I sort of miss the little pop-up.

I don't know exactly how my cache could have been reinfecting itself with whatever the problem was, since it was quarantining each time. But viruses and exploits are way too complicated these days for me to follow. I don't think Doom was responsible. It's just that all that is dark tends to settle into that region.
I'm nobody's pony.
Who knew that Darth Vader worked in IT?
I always thought it was Jabba the Hutt
Shadow boxing the apocalypse