Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laurie Anderson
I was just thinking that John Zorn used to do a lot of shrieking and dissonance with his sax (particularly with Painkiller in the 90s). Since she has played with Zorn, maybe she was looking for that sort of thing from Patton.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Perhaps.  She worked with Patton last year in a show I missed.  And she did say that she still respected his talent.  But the last minute stress was outside of her comfort zone, so she said she won't be working with him again.

I'm okay with cacaphonic as you well know.  Heck I poached the term cacaphonic from you KB, and still make ample use of it.  It my auditory 'sanguineous'.  But this was just noise.  Crappy annoying noise.  It was one of those shows where there were parts when I wanted to scream 'Patton, STFU!'
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Synchronicity!

I hadn't thought of Faith No More in decades and now I've heard about them twice in two weeks.

Quote:Wake up! Check your calendars and grab your keys up off the table! System Of A DownKorn, and Faith No More are headlining a massive rock show set for May 22 at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles. The Hard Rock trio of bands will also be joined by Helmet and Russian Circles.
For Serj Tankian and System Of A Down, this is their only confirmed US tour date of 2020, and the first one in the states in nearly five years for Faith No More. SOAD have not released an album since 2005, when the band offered up two LPs, Mesmerize and later Hypnotize. There reportedly have been disagreements about releasing new music in the years since.

Quote:[Image: GTqGkmWX_normal.jpg]
[/url]System Of A Down

@systemofadown

Arriving May 22 at @BancStadium. Joined by @Korn, @FaithNoMore, @Helmetmusic and @RussianCircles. Reserve your tickets this Friday, February 7th at 10AM PT. http://SystemOfADown.com/tour 

[img=458x0]https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/1224347157467000833/pu/img/w2Rqvotj_eot0INt?format=jpg&name=small[/img]

7:03 AM - Feb 3, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

247 people are talking about this

[url=https://twitter.com/systemofadown/status/1224347709328355329]

Korn meanwhile is already very busy on the road with Breaking Benjamin, kicking off their tour in January with dates running through March. The band recently released their new album, The Nothing. Packed with cathartic anthems following personal pain, frontman Jonathan Davis explained the origins of the title to RADIO.COM in September.
“I felt I was being chased or followed by this entity, this thing that always makes things go wrong in my life, and I wanted to call it something,” said Davis. "That seemed fitting cause it’s nothing.”
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Laurie Anderson  is the subject of the latest By The Book column in the NY Times. Two mentions of Chinese literature.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Cool. Thanks kb. I’ve not read either of those Chinese works but I though her Gibson comments were hilarious.

DM - this made me think of the Drones show...

--tg
https://boingboing.net/2020/03/04/new-vi...-spok.html

Quote:New video for Iggy Pop's spoken-song based on Lou Reed poem

Iggy Pop's "We Are the People" is based on a poem penned in 1970 by his old friend, the great Lou Reed.

About the poem, Pop told the BBC back in September, "My God, this is the country today as I understand it, or at least one legitimate portrayal of the country today." Last week, Pop performed "We Are the People" with Reed's widow Laurie Anderson at Carnegie Hall for the Tibet House Benefit and now he's released this striking video performance.

The song appears on Pop's latest album Free. From "We Are the People:"

Quote:We are the people without land / We are the people without tradition...
We are the people without sorrow who have moved beyond national pride and indifference to a parody of instinct / We are the people who are desperate beyond emotion because it defies thought / We are the people who conceive our destruction and carry it out lawfully

—tg
You know, I've been trying to figure out how to get to Iggy.  He's a big qigong advocate.  But then, so is Kate Beckinsale.
Beckinsale has good Instagram game.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I’ll have to check that out.
(03-05-2020, 01:56 PM)Greg Wrote: Beckinsale has good Instagram game.

following...
[Image: source.gif]
(03-05-2020, 01:56 PM)Greg Wrote: Beckinsale has good Instagram game.

You didn't say she had a pom.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  

[Image: Kate+Beckinsale+out+dog+Brentwood+Countr...nQzvkx.jpg]
I'm currently enjoying this...

Quote:The Vanguard Award & Residency is an award and yearlong residency that celebrates the career of a singular artist who has contributed to American Life and pop culture and is part of the Joe's Pub family of artists.This artist also sustains and leads their own artistic community while creating a body of work that stands apart from their peers. Additionally, the award helps to close the music industry's widening gaps in funding.

Join us for a special performance in Joe’s Pub celebrating Laurie Anderson with a slate of artists and friends, with music direction by Shara Nova (of My Brightest Diamond) and Chris Bruce leading and all-star band featuring Meshell Ndegeocello, Daniel Mintseris, Jack DeBoe, and performances from (in order of appearance):

Lafcadio Cass

Ryuichi Sakamoto

Starr Busby with Stuart Bogie, Alex Koi & Colin Stetson - “From the Air” 

Carl Hancock Rux - “The Puppet Motel” 

Shara Nova with Stuart Bogie & Colin Stetson - “Beautiful Red Dress” 

Theo Bleckmann - “Falling” 

Alex Koi - “Gravity’s Angel”

Theo Bleckmann & Helga Davis - “Walking and Falling” 

Colin Stetson & DM Stith - “Fear of the Unknown and the Blazing Sun”

Nona Hendryx with Kiki Hawkins, Asa Lovechild & Alex Sopp - “This is the Picture (Excellent Birds)”

Christina Courtin - “Flow”

Meg Harper directed by Derrick Belcham (film) with My Brightest Diamond - “The Beginning of Memory” 

Joan as Police Woman - “Blue Lagoon” 

Morley Shanti Kamen - “Only An Expert” 

Justin Hicks - “Nothing Left but Their Names”

Mmeadows (Kristin Slipp & Cole Kamen-Green) - “Walk the Dog”

Meshell Ndegeocello - “O Superman”

Theo Bleckmann & Nona Hendryx - “In Our Sleep”

Gala Co-Chairs: Eric Ellenbogen & Dominic Ramos-Ruiz, Alicia Hall Moran, Megan Mullally and Nick Offerman
Benefit Committee: David Bither, Jolean & David Breger, Linda Brumbach, Dr. Nadine Chang, Jeff Gates & Mike Moran, Bob Hurwitz, Joe Hall & Martin Dagata, Gary Lippman & Vera Szombathelyi, Eileen O'Kane Kornreich

Support JOE'S PUB LIVE! Please consider making a small gift to help all of us get through this together.

Like all Joe's Pub shows, all ages are welcome, but please be aware that performances may include adult language and topics.

Recorded live at Joe's Pub on February 3, 2020,

More info: https://publictheater.org/productions/jo...-archives/

--tg
cool. i'll give that a look. 

i was looking forward to publishing my report on her show earlier this year. that is in the summer issue that may or may not happen. i'll have to reach out to her to update her on the situation.
I just got around to emailing Laurie to tell her the news about the end of KFTC. I wonder if she'll still deign to meet with me now that I'm no longer a print publisher. Getting to know her personally was one of the oddest, yet most delightful perks of my job. I'm still a huge fan of her work and will always be so.