The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Laurie Anderson - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Music (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Laurie Anderson (/showthread.php?tid=4601)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 09-04-2018

9/3/18

That was cool. I’m too exhausted to discuss it now though. More later.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 09-04-2018

The show was rather intense.  The Chapel is an intimate venue, only a few hundred at most, a converted church with a vaulted ceiling.  John Zorn is hardcore NYC jazz sax player and composer and is celebrating his 60th with a big run of shows, two a night, which started Friday and ends Tuesday, different guests each night.  Tonight's first show was him, Laurie on electric violin and Terry Riley on a steinway, a melodica, and I think an iPad.  Half a dozen jazz pieces, 100% improv according to Laurie.  She introduced one piece by saying as a birthday tribute, everyone should scream like Yoko Ono did right after 45 was elected, only she screamed for a full minute where we only had to scream for 10 seconds - and that launched into the next piece.  

The second set was compositions by Zorn, played by his handpicked ensemble - piano, violin, standing bass, cello, drums, and vibraphone - alternating players depending on the piece.  They called it 'chamber music' because even though it was jazz compositions, Zorn had written every note.  It was exhausting music, incredibly talented musicians - virtuosos - playing so fast and complex I couldn't even keep up.  One piece (for violin & cello) was written right after Zorn had a root canal and sounded as harsh as you might imagine, but inspired.  

The show started at 6 and let out at 10 and I was home by midnight. Laurie got me a pass to the afterparty, but she left so I did too.  

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 09-04-2018

Now why am I so cross-eyed this morning?  I was sober for the show.  I only had a shot of Powers at the Irish pub nearby beforehand.  I've still seeing double and I'm really spent.  Got those post-summer blues in a big way today.  

I should add that Zorn claimed that he didn't take any anesthesia for the root canal.  Also he spits a lot when he plays.  I was front of stage but on Laurie's side, not directly in front of Zorn so I was just out of range.

I will also add that vibraphone is one of my favorite instruments and should always be included in jazz chamber music.

RE: Laurie Anderson - King Bob - 09-05-2018

DM - I've got some good albums with vibes and can share with you.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 09-05-2018

(09-05-2018, 04:18 PM)King Bob Wrote: DM - I've got some good albums with vibes and can share with you.

Ha. Figures. 

Sure I’m game.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 11-27-2018

This Wednesday Laurie begins her week long residency with SF jazz. Wednesday is also the Weapons of Kung Fu ep of Man at Arms so I gotta give her first show a pass. She’s doing different shows through Sunday and she just emailed me inviting me to all of them. I’m definitely in for Drones - a thunderous feedback loop ensemble using Lou’s guitars being staged at Grace cathedral on Friday. Saturday I made a commitment to the Mo. Thinking hard about Sunday. 

And again, we might get together to chat privately - fingers crossed for that.

Surreal cyber Monday

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 11-30-2018

Still looking for my +1 for Sunday.  Anyone?

tg nobly stepped up and will be joining me tonight. I'll be headed up there shortly. We'll drink to DOOM. 

Laurie still wants to get together but she has her hands full with this residency.  Five vastly different shows in five days has got to be very overwhelming.  Fingers still crossed.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 11-30-2018

Drones @ Grace Cathedral

The bells chimed 7 as I walked the labyrinth waiting for that guy. The city lights are beautiful.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 12-01-2018

What time on Sunday?

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 12-01-2018

(12-01-2018, 12:13 AM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: What time on Sunday?

Sorry. Found a + already.

Drones was ecstatic. By far one of the trippiest spaces I’ve ever experienced. A true triumph for SF Jazz, Grace, Laurie, and of course Lou.

RE: Laurie Anderson - King Bob - 12-01-2018

DM being a tease. Again

RE: Laurie Anderson - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 12-01-2018

What if I wear...knickers?

(12-01-2018, 08:54 AM)King Bob Wrote: DM being a tease. Again
You would’ve loved this. I was rocked. This was massive bass like I’ve never heard before. Dead space & reggae dub are now little league. 

Lou Reed’s guitars set up on feedback with multiple musicians scattered across Grace. We had access to everything, the art, the altar, the pulpit! Laurie in the back with her violin and keys, plus she jammed on the organ. Ecstatic.

And I’m so blessed that tg was my date. He understood and was as enthusiastic to go the distance as me.

(12-01-2018, 09:15 AM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: What if I wear...knickers?

Tempting. If my Sunday bails, you’re my sloppy second. But he’s pretty reliable.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Greg - 12-01-2018

I am completely disappointed by the photos. There isn't a single drone in them.

More pix coming

These drones were heard and felt, not seen. The sound was so big at times that it knocked us back, like standing in front of the speakers at a festival. Like in front, in the pit not the audience. Been there as y’all know.

The acoustics in Grace are divine.