Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monterey Jazz Festival
Awesome. But I thought you weren't supposed to take pics of the artists?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

So now most RM calls are for old people problems?
the hands that guide me are invisible
This was JAH Med, not Rock Med. And it was a Jazz fest which has a much older demographic.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
(09-30-2022, 10:31 AM)Greg Wrote:  But I thought you weren't supposed to take pics of the artists?

That’s a RM prohibition. JM is okay with us going up on stage to watch if we can hustle it. Selfies with the talent is fair game.

Make it Happen (Nora, Yaara & Rosa) popped up on my YT. This is their whole act which they repeated a few times over the fest - 15 mins straight of joyful exuberance. 

40 years ago, this blew my mind. 

That was fun. It was quiet until today’s crew fully assembled, and then we scrambled (we were only 8 but mighty). Then I was tasked to cover Herbie’s set with 2 others (all the action was there). Then we had a roll.

Herbie was amazing - he comes in on these oblique angles and I question if they work, then by some crazy magic it all comes together - everyone on the same page but no one with the same book - his drummer and trumpeter were fantastic. 

The crew has a monster rv rental with two showers & toilets, tvs in every bunk and one outside under a special panel.

My Cruz crew is bailing. Stacy bailed due to the AQI - we were listing as 110 but it didn’t seem that bad were we were. Another nearby meter read 90. 

Strangely fun walk out from the rv to my car to driving home. Meditative.
Another thrilling day 

Snarky Puppy was awesome 

I must sleep now…
Boots on the ground for day 3. Got wifi now so I’ll post more. Assuming I’m not distracted…
Jazz cabbage & a cuppa. Standing (sitting) guard at the booth. Houston radio station has the gospel/jazz fusion going. Still overcast but AQI at 70 so all good. It’s gonna burn off and be another beautiful day.

We’ve been constant. Lots of falls, cardiac issues, geriatric problems. Had to roll 3 over the last two days out of prudence. We’re a small crew so one call takes all of us - a few to respond and the rest to fall in for support and to be at the ready for the next.

I’ve been enjoying driving the carts about. Usually I avoid being a driver but this crowd is easy to navigate. 

The j-ride rv crew all went bowling last night. Sounds like a blast but I headed home with Ben to sleep in my own bed. Slept well. Not like Friday night when I was tweaking and only got like 2 hours.

Bumped into Connie Han while waiting for Ben to arrive. Told her that her set was awesome (which it was). I am kicking myself for not grabbing a selfie with her.
We’ve come this far by faith was pleasant gospel, but too heavy on the soloists but there’s nothing like a Hammond - they should’ve turned that up.

Lunch was the other half Sammy from yesterday. 

Partly cloudy, nice. Today is the day of gratitude when yesterday’s patients come by to thank us. Soaking in that grateful feeling.
Another fine festival. Thundercat was a jazz power trio. Today was the mellowist - JM was deep in the groove. Such a delight to be in harmony again. 

Fall is here. That was the last music festival of this year for me, I think. What a pleasure.