The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Cobra Kai - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Streaming (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Forum: Netflix Streaming (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+----- Forum: Netflix Episodic (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+----- Thread: Cobra Kai (/showthread.php?tid=4377)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Cobra Kai - Drunk Monk - 05-27-2021

(05-27-2021, 09:30 AM)Greg Wrote: Something wicked this way comes. I don't remember KK3 so I don't remember this character.

Just as I predicted...

Quote:Cobra Kai Season 4: What to Expect

Cobra Kai season 3 brought back some major Karate Kid characters. What...and who could possibly be in store for season 4?
[Image: headshot.jpg?resize=200%2C200&filter=grayscale]

|January 4, 2021|
[Image: Cobra-Kai-Season-4-What-to-Expect.jpg?resize=768%2C432][i]Photo: Netflix[/i]
[i]This article contains [b]COBRA KAI[/b] season 3 spoilers.[/i]
“Hey. Long time,” Kreese (Martin Kove) says at the end of [b][i]Cobra Kai[/i][/b] season 3 when he calls someone mysteriously, as if to ask a favor. Now just who could it be?

The most likely candidate is Terry Silver (Thomas Ian Griffith), Kreese’s war buddy and the main villain from [b][i]The Karate Kid Part III[/i][/b]. Season 3 of [b][i]Cobra Kai[/i][/b] explored Kreese’s backstory, adding credence to this postulation. We see Young Kreese’s (Barrett Carnahan) traumatic experience as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, and how he saved his friend that he nicknamed Twig (Nick Marini). It’s implied that Twig is Silver. In [b][i]The Karate Kid Part III[/i][/b], Silver was a rich CEO of DynaTox Industries, an unscrupulous nuclear waste disposal company. He helped to fund the Cobra Kai schools and was a major sponsor of the All-Valley Karate Tournament. Since the season 3 finale reveals that season 4 is headed to another yet showdown this tournament, Silver would be a good play. 

It was obvious.

RE: Cobra Kai - Greg - 05-27-2021

You're like the Kobra Kai Nostradamus!

RE: Cobra Kai - Drunk Monk - 05-27-2021

Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?
NO, SENSEI!
Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?
NO, SENSEI!
Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?
NO, SENSEI!
Unpredictability does not exist in this dojo, does it?
NO, SENSEI!

RE: Cobra Kai - Greg - 06-28-2021

So my mind just got blown. Did anyone else know that Toshiro Mifune was originally considered for the role of Mr. Miyagi? Seriously?

Cinema Shorthand Society Wrote:"I never was able to do karate. That's calling me a good actor. I act like I can do anything."
The scene that sealed Pat Morita's nomination for Best Supporting Actor in "The Karate Kid" (1984), in which Miyagi gets drunk and weeps over the death of his wife and child in the Manzanar internment camp, was nearly cut out of the film. The studio thought the scene was unnecessary and wanted it cut, but director John G. Avildsen argued that it was important to Miyagi's character and finally the studio relented and allowed the scene to be kept in. Also, during the casting of the film, the studio wanted legendary Japanese actor Toshirô Mifune to play Miyagi, but Avildsen and producer Jerry Weintraub thought Mifune's interpretation of the character was far too serious for what the film needed.
Morita's portrayal of Mr. Miyagi was heavily influenced by karate master Fumio Demura. Morita spent a lot of time with Demura, who doubled him for his fight scenes, and translated not only Demura's attitude towards the martial arts to the character, but also his mannerisms and speech.
The skeleton fight scene endured numerous takes because the actors complained that Demura (as Morita's stunt double) was hitting them too hard, which caused the scene to lose some of the choreography and authenticity. Fumio told the director that if he could use his own students they would get the shot in one take. The director agreed and they shot the fight scene successfully in one take. (IMDb)
Happy Birthday, Pat Morita!

RE: Cobra Kai - Drunk Monk - 06-28-2021

Sure. It's a major facet of TKK lore.

Well, then.....

RE: Cobra Kai - Drunk Monk - 06-28-2021

Did you know that among the other actors considered for Larusso were Nic Cage, Tom Cruise, Robert Downey Jr. & Charlie Sheen? 

As you know, I did a deep dive on the KK franchise because they paid me. And come fall when the next season of CK gets released, I'm hoping they'll pay me again.

Fingers crossed.

RE: Cobra Kai - Drunk Monk - 06-30-2021

Q: Guess what's coming to Netflix tomorrow?

A: The complete Karate Kid trilogy

Q: Guess who just finished a random feature about The Karate Kid by request of Den?

(06-28-2021, 02:45 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: And come fall when the next season of CK gets released, I'm hoping they'll pay me again.

A: DM was way ahead of the game here. 

Okay, well, two days ahead. 

(05-27-2021, 11:10 AM)Greg Wrote: You're like the Kobra Kai Nostradamus!

Truth. 

Now if only I could predict lotto numbers...

RE: Cobra Kai - Greg - 08-05-2021

Season 4 coming in December.

RE: Cobra Kai - Greg - 08-25-2021

While we wait for Season 4......

Quote:The upcoming Broadway-bound musical stage adaptation of The Karate Kid has set its world premiere dates! The musical will premiere at STAGES St. Louis as part of their 2022 season, before bowing on Broadway.
The limited, pre-Broadway engagement will begin performances at STAGES St. Louis on Wednesday, May 25, 2022 and run through Sunday, June 26 at The Ross Family Theatre at The Kirkwood Performing Arts Center.
Based on the smash hit Columbia Pictures motion picture and featuring a book by Robert Mark Kamen (modeled after his own semi-autobiographical screenplay) and music and lyrics by Drew Gasparini, The Karate Kid will be directed by the renowned Japanese director Amon Miyamoto (Pacific Overtures) and choreographed by MTV VMA nominees Keone and MariMadrid.
When The Karate Kid hit cineplexes in 1984, it became an instant cultural phenomenon earning rave reviews and racking up millions of dollars at the box office. Featuring now-iconic performances by Ralph Macchio, Noriyuki "Pat" Morita, William Zabka, and Elisabeth Shue, that original film spawned a media franchise that includes a total of five films, an animated television series and the hit television series "Cobra Kai" with many actors reprising their original film roles. "Cobra Kai" launched on YouTube Premium in 2018 and moved to Netflix in 2020, with season 4 premiering this December. It's also widely credited with popularizing karate in the United States.

In a statement, Robert Mark Kamen said, "When I was a young man, my life was forever changed by traditional Okinawan Karate and the instructors who taught it to me. The Karate Kid is my love letter to both those masters and their practice. Karate teaches, above all, to follow your dreams no matter what obstacles are put in front of you, and that is the spirit with which all of us are approaching this show. I am particularly pleased to have Amon guiding us forward with such wisdom, positivity, and passion."
"I am truly grateful that during this period in time and in spite of difficult conditions, we have been able to build a creative bridge from Japan to NYC bringing forth a diverse creative team in a continued effort to bring The Karate Kid - The Musical to life," said Kumiko Yoshii. "The continued dedication and energy on this project, led by our director Amon Miyamoto from Japan, fighting through the pandemic is an example of what has made The Karate Kid such an iconic cultural cornerstone. We are honored to begin the journey at STAGES St. Louis next spring."
"We are truly honored to be squarely between the crossroads of Tokyo and New York City and telling this universal story of understanding and acceptance," STAGES St. Louis Executive Producer Jack Lane said. "We cannot think of a better show to help launch not just STAGES, but the St. Louis region, as a brand new pre-Broadway tryout destination."
"Karate teaches that if you treat people with inner strength, humility, and the spirit of harmony, there will be no conflict," said Amon Miyamoto. "It's a message that I think we need to hear even more now than we did in 1984, and I am so excited to have the chance to modernize and musicalize this beloved story for what will be the world's first karate action musical. My deepest hope is that our work resonates with audiences all over the world, spreading the ideas of acceptance and inclusion - which are the opposite of division."
"As I am sure anyone my age can relate to, The Karate Kid has been a major touchstone in my life," said Drew Gasparini. "It is such an incredible honor to be able to give a musical voice to such an iconic story that means so much to so many people across the globe. It's a responsibility I don't take lightly, and one I am relishing every second of."

The Karate Kid will feature set design by Tony and two-time Emmy Award winner Derek McLane (Moulin Rouge, Hairspray Live!), costume design by three-time Yomiuri Theater Grand Prize winner Ayako Maeda, lighting design by two-time Tony Award winner Bradley King (Hadestown, Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812), sound design by Tony Award winner Kai Harada (The Band's Visit, Fun Home), orchestrations by three-time Tony Award nominee John Clancy (Mean Girls, Diana), and music direction and arrangements by Andrew Resnick (The Cher Show, The King and I).

For more information, please visit TheKarateKidTheMusical.com.

RE: Cobra Kai - Drunk Monk - 08-25-2021

So 2005....

https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37399-Karate-Kid-The-Musical

RE: Cobra Kai - cranefly - 08-25-2021

Sweep the low note, Johnny!

RE: Cobra Kai - thatguy - 08-25-2021

"Wax on, wax off" is just made to be a lyric...

--tg

RE: Cobra Kai - Drunk Monk - 08-25-2021

Check out that link to the original unofficial parody musical. 'Wax on wax off' is a tune. 

Quote:THE STORY: The Bitchkicks open the show with AVE KARATE, a spoken word prologue detailing our protagonist's humble beginnings in the Brick City aka Newark, NJ. The action starts when Daniel-San and his mother, Lucille, pack their belongings and travel cross-country, dreaming of beginning a new in Reseda, CA (MOVIN' TO RESEDA). Upon his arrival in Cali, Daniel-San encounters Freddie Fernandez, an eager new friend, who shows Daniel-San around the apartment complex and introduces him to some unusual neighbors (THEY CALL ME FREDDIE). Realizing their kitchen sink is broken, Mrs. Larusso sends Daniel-San to find the maintenance man. Daniel-San discovers Miyagi in his workshop performing a fly-catching meditation. Despite Miyagi's disinterest in the conversation, Daniel-San seizes the opportunity to confide in the mysterious old man (DANIEL-SAN'S LAMENT).
That evening, the entire cast attends a beach party. Daniel-San meets Ali Mills, a rich girl from Beverly Hills who's detrimentally attracted to "non-threatening" boys ('A' MY NAME IS ALI). Suddenly, Johnny Lawrence and the Bitchkicks, an evil teen karate gang, interrupt the party. An argument between Johnny and Ali turns into a fistfight when Daniel-San attempts to intervene. As Johnny beats Daniel-San mercilessly, the Bitchkicks take a moment to remind everyone how deadly they are (WE ARE THE BITCHKICKS). Thoroughly beaten and abandoned by the remaining partygoers, Daniel-San sings a solemn ode to dejection (DAMN YOU, DANIEL-SAN) only to be interrupted mid-song by the still-bloodthirsty Bitchkicks, who beat him again.
The next morning, Daniel-San readies for his first day of school in California. After arguing with his mother about the beach party beatdown and his general disdain for CA, Daniel-San runs away from home. Having overheard the confrontation, Miyagi promises Mrs. Larusso that he will help Daniel-San the only way he knows how (MIYAGI�S COMPASSION).
Hot on the trail of her "man," Ali discovers Daniel-San hiding out in disguise at the local make-out spot and tries to take advantage of his weakened condition. Johnny and the Bitchkicks ambush Daniel-San and Ali. As they beat Daniel-San for the third time, Johnny explains why (and where) Daniel-San makes his blood boil. Fortunately, Miyagi arrives in time to save the day with a kick and a chop (I�M ONLY HAPPY WHEN I�M BAD!).
Taking pity on the boy, Miyagi helps Daniel-San confront his bullies and their evil mentor. At the Evil Dojo, they witness one of Evil Sensei�s training sessions (THE WAY OF THE FISTING). Though Miyagi is able to bargain for Daniel-San's immediate safety, he also volunteers the lad for a deadly showdown at the All-Valley Under-18 Anything-Goes Karate Championship!
The next day, Miyagi gives Daniel-San his first karate lesson (WAX ON! WAX OFF!) as well as several important lifestyle and fashion tips. Left alone to train, Daniel-San is railroaded by Ali to take a break from his karate lessons and spend some leisure time at the Golf-N-Stuff (THE DATE-N-STUFF). As Ali attempts to "seal the deal" with her amour, Johnny and the Bitchkicks surround the pair and mock them. The malicious teens are distracted from their verbal sparring when Mrs. Larusso wanders through and schools the kids about the ins and outs of her gutter-fabulous lifestyle (UNSAVORY THINGS).
The following day at Miyagi's house, Daniel-San receives his final, and most thematically relevant, lesson from Miyagi (THE WAY OF THE BUSS). Having completed Daniel-San�s karate training, Miyagi, Daniel-San, & Ali celebrate the occasion with OE 40s and some hella-fat blunts. With unusual candor, a wickedly baked Miyagi reveals a shocking secret from his own past (MIYAGI�S LAMENT).
The show climaxes (literally) with the karate showdown to end all karate-themed showdowns. After defeating his rivals and winning the All-Valley Under-18 Anything-Goes Karate Championship, Daniel-San is crowned "The Kid" by his adoring cast (YOU�RE THE KARATE KID!).

...so is 'the way of fisting'...