Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cobra Kai
I'm sure this up next in DM's queue

As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Oooh, beat me to the punch on this one.  We've been following this on KFM since last year - http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/show...Kid-sequel - but I'll grant you this post because I just came here just now just to post this.

It's feckin YouTube Red.   Angry

Not paying for yet another streaming service.  Not that I don't want to.  It's just I need money to buy more whiskey.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Watched the first two free eps.

I’m kinda hooked. They were surprisingly good. But I don’t wanna invest in YouTube red. 

Once again, I fell for the ol’ first one’s free scam. Crap.
Cobra Kai has moved to Netflix. Season 2 is now up. I think I'll watch some of the episodes.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/show...ost1319049
You're still on that forum? Weird.

I hope they are paying you the big bucks.

Not big bucks but they are paying me. I'm on retainer for KFM, MAS social media, and the admin of the KFM forum. I'll still plug in some news every working morning, as I'm waking up. That forum is quite a resource, mostly due to all the random news pieces I've posted there over the last, well, nearly two decades now, since back when the interwebz were young. 

I still keep a lot of notes on KFM, just like I keep a lot here. There is where I store news articles. I just submitted a piece for Den on Mulan based on my KFM notes. Haven't heard if that was accepted. They don't really tell me. It just goes live at some point. That's a bit frustrating but I confess doing the same with my freelancers for KFM.
Well, now Den has tasked me to put something together for this too. I guess it'll be my next binge. Look forward to your input here, Greg. It won't be as fun as if we Siskel&Eberted Warrior, but it is what it is.
I'll see what I can do, see what tQ will put up with.

e3 - actually this show ain't half bad. it's akin to bill and ted face the music - nostalgic yet updated with the protags dealing with middle age and their kids taking the spotlight. a saving grace is that eps are only about 20+ mins long so like ST:LD, it's bingeable and digestable because it's light snacks, just lots of them.
It comes together in e5. It's heartfelt, honors the original, but has one of the more realistic depictions of running a strip mall dojo that I've seen. Well, at least until this ep. I suspect next ep Cobra Kai will take off. Also, the training is still ridiculous. Nevertheless, Macchio and Zabka have really matured into their roles and that's what this show hinges upon. There's a good nod to Morita in this ep too.
E7 Johnny reads Black Belt. Kinda bummed me out.

E8 sees the return of Larusso’s mom. It also retells TKK from Johnny’s perspective which is in line with that How I Met Your Mother episode. Johnny really was the KK. Daniel is the villain. Sam & Miguel are Romeo & Juliet dojo style. While the characters are all deepening, but Johnny is the most interesting.
E9 Ali’s a Doctor? Woah.

S1 finale 50th All Valley Championship is sponsored by Century. I wonder if it ever even crossed TC’s desk.

It’s still such a fictional tournament. But I confess, I was rooting for both fighters in the finale.

Season 1 was a bit of alright. It's well paced in that bingeable episodic way and also stands as a 3 hour 20 movie (the length of a good Bollywood). The characters are complex enough to navigate the tribulations of a soap opera. There are plenty of genuine nods to the original. It's got teen drama coupled with middle age issues. And it has a sense of humor, especially about itself, but not so much so that it's self caricature. The fight choreo is still mediocre at best. There's some attempt to update in the finale with a tricker competitor, but it's not the action that sells TKK. It never has been about the choreo. Cobra Kai is right where it needs to be

In a nostalgic way, it's parallel to Bill and Ted Face the Music. Both age their main protagonists, add kids, keep the original tone while updating to today. I'm trying to think of more examples of this in recent cinema. Picard maybe? I can think of some fails. 

I'm looking forward to digging into Season 2.
I have engaged with Episode 1. It was all right. I felt bad for Johnny but he was still an entitled dick who hadn't learned his lesson. I liked seeing Ed Asner pop in as the dad.

On the other hand, they just tortured him for the whole episode, right down to living in the Reseda Apartments.

The martial arts are still horrible but I liked how he pulled a groin muscle on the high kick.

Asner is a very minor character. Having not watched the initial two eps in two years, I forgot he was in it until he reappears momentarily towards the end in two eps. But he plays a critical role in Johnny's back story.

Johnny has a lot of torturing to endure, all the way to the end. It's really all about Johnny.