05-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I had this idea, based on what ED and ppfy said, but it took me a month to get up the courage to try it.
Tonight I went on a Taco Bell run. It was my turn, as LC had done the honors the last 40 times.
So at the drive-up speaker I give the order. A number 4 with a diet pepsi, and a number 6 with a diet
pepsi. A girl's voice repeats my order and asks, "Is that all?"
Taking a deep breath, I say, "Oh, and I'd like a side order of Michael Crichton."
After a pause she says, "That will be zero dollars and zero cents."
Well, that doesn't surprise me much because these days my hearing is crap and obviously I'm indulging in wishful hearing. But when I get up to the window, the outside meter reads "$0.00"
I take the food and put the pepsis in the cupholders and thank the girl and am about to drive away when she reaches out her hand and says with all the surliness in her soul, "Sir, that will be zero dollars and zero cents!"
Well, I'm stymied and shaken and confused and what not, and I'm fishing around for who knows what, and finally I find a penny and give it to her.
After slapping the cash register open and closed, she gives me a penny back (a different one), thanks me, and I drive off.
LC refuses to believe me. And she won't try it herself. Which is why I'm telling Doom. Because I know you will.
--cranefly
Tonight I went on a Taco Bell run. It was my turn, as LC had done the honors the last 40 times.
So at the drive-up speaker I give the order. A number 4 with a diet pepsi, and a number 6 with a diet
pepsi. A girl's voice repeats my order and asks, "Is that all?"
Taking a deep breath, I say, "Oh, and I'd like a side order of Michael Crichton."
After a pause she says, "That will be zero dollars and zero cents."
Well, that doesn't surprise me much because these days my hearing is crap and obviously I'm indulging in wishful hearing. But when I get up to the window, the outside meter reads "$0.00"
I take the food and put the pepsis in the cupholders and thank the girl and am about to drive away when she reaches out her hand and says with all the surliness in her soul, "Sir, that will be zero dollars and zero cents!"
Well, I'm stymied and shaken and confused and what not, and I'm fishing around for who knows what, and finally I find a penny and give it to her.
After slapping the cash register open and closed, she gives me a penny back (a different one), thanks me, and I drive off.
LC refuses to believe me. And she won't try it herself. Which is why I'm telling Doom. Because I know you will.
--cranefly
