08-26-2026, 05:39 AM
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2026, 05:57 AM by Drunk Monk.)
Just got out of the hotel private hot tub. It was ok, mostly for the Japanese aesthetic, and to force myself to soak my legs and body for 40 mins. Restorative.
I’m a little travel sick. I have this brutal cough, but no other symptoms. I’m sore but we’ve been averaging 9 miles a day which is 7 more than usual for me. And the heat is intense. My throat is a little dry but not sore. Sinuses clear. But the coughing attacks are bad. I got some condense cough syrup for tonight.
It was a good day today despite the cough. We made it to Nara and saw the two temples there, one with a huge Buddha, the other unesco site with so many lanterns and bowed to the bowing deer. I saw more deer a block from the train station than I’ve seen in my whole life. And that was just the beginning. So many deer. So gentle, except the grifter deer near the gates who were aggressive as any street busker.
The big Buddha temple museum had some spectacular funerary ken swords, including the most beautiful one I have ever seen - but photos weren’t permitted.
Had some mochi at this historic shop. Hand pounded, covered in sesame powder and filled with bean paste. We had another sweet one later at some shop Tara saw on IG with strawberries. Oichi!
The we made it to Oji where matcha began. Had some matcha. Went into nearly a dozen tea shops. Bought gifts. Went to the unesco temple there which was stunning for its detail and history. When we got back to our hotel, Tara came to the conclusion that she doesn’t really like matcha. We had a good laugh over that.
We tried to get dinner at another famous vegan place but it seated less that a dozen and was full. We saw a gyoza place on the way that offered vegan and meat so we hit that. I had fried shrimp gyoza with spicy mayo, soba with a soft egg, and an ume ginger cocktail. Tara had two different gyoza, spicy soba and on. Her meal was better but both were outstanding. Super spicy but not overwhelming, just right.
We did a little more shopping and Tara found some great gifts at the Nintendo store. Then we returned to the hotel for our hot tubs. Tara is still enjoying hers (mine was a half hour earlier)
Yesterday was 9.3 miles
Today 11.1
I’m a little travel sick. I have this brutal cough, but no other symptoms. I’m sore but we’ve been averaging 9 miles a day which is 7 more than usual for me. And the heat is intense. My throat is a little dry but not sore. Sinuses clear. But the coughing attacks are bad. I got some condense cough syrup for tonight.
It was a good day today despite the cough. We made it to Nara and saw the two temples there, one with a huge Buddha, the other unesco site with so many lanterns and bowed to the bowing deer. I saw more deer a block from the train station than I’ve seen in my whole life. And that was just the beginning. So many deer. So gentle, except the grifter deer near the gates who were aggressive as any street busker.
The big Buddha temple museum had some spectacular funerary ken swords, including the most beautiful one I have ever seen - but photos weren’t permitted.
Had some mochi at this historic shop. Hand pounded, covered in sesame powder and filled with bean paste. We had another sweet one later at some shop Tara saw on IG with strawberries. Oichi!
The we made it to Oji where matcha began. Had some matcha. Went into nearly a dozen tea shops. Bought gifts. Went to the unesco temple there which was stunning for its detail and history. When we got back to our hotel, Tara came to the conclusion that she doesn’t really like matcha. We had a good laugh over that.
We tried to get dinner at another famous vegan place but it seated less that a dozen and was full. We saw a gyoza place on the way that offered vegan and meat so we hit that. I had fried shrimp gyoza with spicy mayo, soba with a soft egg, and an ume ginger cocktail. Tara had two different gyoza, spicy soba and on. Her meal was better but both were outstanding. Super spicy but not overwhelming, just right.
We did a little more shopping and Tara found some great gifts at the Nintendo store. Then we returned to the hotel for our hot tubs. Tara is still enjoying hers (mine was a half hour earlier)
Yesterday was 9.3 miles
Today 11.1
Shadow boxing the apocalypse

