Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War of the Worlds@Metro Radio Arena,Newcastle,UK 12/08/07
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of 'The War of the Worlds'

Possibly the 2nd best-selling rock opera (after 'Tommy'), yet remarkably unknown in the U.S. is 'Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds'.

This brilliant and faithful version of H.G. Wells' classic featured performances by Justin Hayward (Moody Blues), Phil Lynot (Thin Lizzy), David Essex, Chris Spedding (Guitar) and the narration by Richard Burton. David Essex and, of course, Phil Lynot were missing from this live version.

Unlike previous adaptations, Jeff Wayne stayed faithful to the turn of the century time period and closely followed H.G. Wells original story.

I first heard it on Halloween, 197x as part of the Dr. Demento radio broadcast. I loved thematic musical pieces, and still do. Opera, rock opera, concept albums, musicals or any other medium that follows a narrative or thematic progression always intrigues me.

For some reason, this masterful work did not achieve the popularity it received in Europe. Fearing the show might never come stateside I decided to see it in England. Fortunately an English ex-patriot friend of mine, equally enamored of the recording readily agreed to offer his dad's house as lodging for the trip. I'd met his dad when we were neighbors in our old house and we whad become friends over the years.

We ordered tickets 7 months in advance (and did not receive them, but that's another story). We spent the rest of the year arranging vacation breaks and booking flights.

Finally the time arrived. I flew out Friday, December 7th and arrived the day of the show, Saturday, December 8th. We presented our plight of unsent tickets to the box office and were rewarded with the coveted evening's admission.

Now for the review part.

The most awesome show EVAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow, we scored 5th row seats.

A digitally reconstructed Richard Burton was projected through a transparent screen on the left side of the stage He gravely narrated the tale of the Martian menace as the 20+ string orchesrra on the right blasted the trademark "Dun-Dun-Dun............Dun-Dun-Dun". The electric band on the left played the rhythm pieces while Chris Spedding wailed the guitar solos from the center.

The rear ultra-long screen played CGI + live action footage of the Martian invasion. It was cheesy by 'Halo'/'Lord of the Rings' standards, but brilliant for a 70's rock album describing events in the 1890s.

The individual songs were performed in costume by experienced actors. Oddly enough, only the original performer Justin Hayward seemed tired. I've seen him perform with The Moody Blues and I know what he's capable of. Maybe he was sick or something.

All in all well worth the small fortune we laid out for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I'm so jealous.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse