Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U2
I figured it was time for another debate. How long can the easy cheese-pudding debate hold our attention? Never mind.

I defend U2. I defend Bono. How can you think of him as an Ass? How can you thing of their songs as Shite? (Good use of the Irish)

Did they become bad when their popularity soared? Or is that incidental? One of the saddest moments for me this year was not being able to attend their concert as they swung through town. The Grateful Dead nothwistanding, they put on an awesome live show. I really should have won megamillions then I could have gotten them to appear in the back yard.

As for Bone, doesn't he do great charity work? I think he sends a powerful message using his celebrity to help change the world rather than using it to bang more broads. Or don't you think he has an impact? Granted, he is a megalomaniac but he is no Lars Ullrich.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I wonder what Bono prefers? Cheese or Pudding?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Bono just irritates me for some reason. He seems extremely arrogant, as opposed to Bob Geldof who seems genuinely compassionate. Also, Bono kisses the religious right's ass

I was a uge U2 fan, having purchased 'Boy', 'October' and 'War'. I kind of liked 'The Unforgettable Fire' and was bored by 'The Joshua Tree' (although "With or Without You" is one of my favorite U2 songs).

Then Bono started becoming the shade-wearing, graffiti-spraying, stadium-filling, self-righteous arsehole he is today.

Bono shares the annoying prick award with Sting, also a veteran of a seminal rock band that somehow forgot how to be humble.

'Achtung Baby', 'Zooropa' and the rest of their pseudo-techno crap is unlistenable. What happened to the spartan, melodic anthems like 'I Will Follow', 'Gloria', 'New Years Day' and 'One'?

Granted, he has done a tremendous amount of work to raise awareness of AIDS and world poverty, but his personality still grates on my nerves.

I do, however, admire The Edge and his solo work.
When they asked him how he felt about people downloading music illegally, he replied "I've got enough money"

As for Bono's flirtation with the religous right, you might want to read his article in this weeks or last week's Rolling Stone. It comes across that he doesn't believe in religion, per se. he believes in God. And he'll kiss anybody's ass who will help him with his causes.

Ah, Mr Geldoff. Why don't we ever mention the fact it was Geldoff and Bono that wrote the original "Do they Know it's Christmas" and got the group together to record it. Why is it always just Bob that's given the credit?

As for no good music after Joshua Tree, (I know. Taste question) what about "One" or "Mysterious Ways" or "End of the World" or "City of Blinding Lights" or "Numb" or "Lemon" All bad?
Greg Wrote:When they asked him how he felt about people downloading music illegally, he replied "I've got enough money"

As for Bono's flirtation with the religous right, you might want to read his article in this weeks or last week's Rolling Stone. It comes across that he doesn't believe in religion, per se. he believes in God. And he'll kiss anybody's ass who will help him with his causes.

Ah, Mr Geldoff. Why don't we ever mention the fact it was Geldoff and Bono that wrote the original "Do they Know it's Christmas" and got the group together to record it. Why is it always just Bob that's given the credit?

Like I said - it's his arrogance.

This is from 11/18:

A dedicated lobbyist for the world's poor and
AIDS-stricken, the U2 frontman told CBS' "60 Minutes" that "I think my work — the activism — will be forgotten.

"And I hope it will. Because I hope those problems will have gone away," he said in an interview that aired Sunday.

Since 1999, Bono has helped persuade Republicans and Democrats, presidents and lawmakers, to provide millions to help end the scourge of AIDS, eliminate poverty in Africa and forgive Third World debt.

The Irish rocker also predicted that his music will still be around in 100 years, explaining that his songs occupy "an emotional terrain that didn't exist before our group did."

And Bono said he has no intention of slowing down. He noted that people in rock 'n roll burn out at age 40, and said he wanted to see if his band could continue making "extraordinary" music.

"You know I'm still hungry," said the 45-year-old winner of 14 Grammy awards. "I still want a lot out of music."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Bono may have co-wrote that horrible, horrible song, but it was Bob Geldof that went to Africa and raised awareness of the conditions there. He called all his rock-star friends, including Bono, and asked them to help raise money for relief efforts. That's why he gets the credit.

Not only does he think his humanitarian acts will be forgotten, but U2's "extraordinary" music will be around in 100 years occupying some exclusive U2 "emotional terrain"

I just want to slap those sunglasses off his face.

Greg Wrote:As for no good music after Joshua Tree, (I know. Taste question) what about "One" or "Mysterious Ways" or "End of the World" or "City of Blinding Lights" or "Numb" or "Lemon" All bad?

Not 'bad' compared to Limp Biskit, 'bad' compared to anything off their first three albums. But, like you said it's a taste issue.
Ah perspective.

I saw the "60 Minute" piece and thought, gosh El Dingo should see this and see Bono is really cool. C'est La Vie.
U2 holds a unique place in my rockiconography because Joshua Tree was my first Rock Med show. To be honest, I've only really got into their sound live. I don't own a single U2 CD, although I do consdier it from time to time, especially lately after their last show. I didn't even know that the Edge did some solo work, and I'd like to check that out. For me, U2 is all about the Edge. Bono is a front man, like Jagger or even, dare I say? David Lee Roth. I'd agree that the Edge/Bono are one of rocks great partnerships. Where would Bono be without the Edge? Like Roth without Eddie? Ozzy without Rhodes? The Dead without Jerry? True, Bono's politics swing from righteous to irksome, in a true Irish way I suppose. Who's going to argue with the messages of their last tour - ending slavery and torture in the name of love, etc? But bring up Sanatorum, and I'm freakin' irked. You all know what Sanatorum is, doncha?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
For some reason, they chose Adam and Larry to redo the Lalo Schiffrin Mission Impossible theme for the movie.

I reject the idea the Edge has done solo work.

When are Adam and Larry going to get their cool U2 nicknames?
the new one? an old one? i've not cared for the films at all.
Me neither. They just aren't tricky enough. It's just straight action film with MI monikor. The shows strength was always the big gotcha at the end. I have yet to see it in the films. And now we have Brett Ratner directing . . .
no psych ops. no martin landau/barbara bain coolness. no sense that such ops could actually be pulled off in the real world. the movies are such a disappointment.

but back to the matter at hand (there's a rollin hand pun in there somewhere, i know it) tell me more about this alledged edge solo work.
I'm thinking the Edge solo projects are a myth. Plus, does he really need another outlet for his muse? His band does put out an album every three years or so. That's probably one new song, about a hundred words, every three months. That should be plenty.
This is the only thing I know of and it's really good:

[Image: B000003RUW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0857253/

ever seen captive? sounds like it might be your kind of thing...
It's the Edge! And he's not even Irish. He was born in England. Oh, cruel internet. Why do you destroy my misconceptions?

On further perusal, he did some Batman music, too. For he Cartoon.