Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vans @ Shoreline 7/1/007
A concert to sell shoes.

This show used to be held on the Pier beneath the Bay Bridge. It's a great setting for a show. KFOG Kaboom is held there too. This year, KFOG charged money for Kaboom for the first time. I didn't work it. And Vans moved to Shoreline. At least parking is easier there.

Six stages are running simultaneuosly - the main and side stage that are standard at SLA, and then four more out in teh parking lot. Additionally, there are a bazillion vendors: clothes, indie lables, band schwag...PETA is my favorite; I always get some "I am not a nugget" stickers for my kid. There was also a skateboard halfpipe, a freak show tent and a luchador ring. It's a major sound clash with bands playing on top of each other and a largely arhythmic crowd bumping into each other as they try to find-the-groove/buy-more-beer/get-to-the-portapotty. It's a lot of road rash from moshing in a parking lot.

I didn't engage any of the bands. I talked to Kung Fu Records, a small label with very uninteresting salespeople. I admired Karate High School's T-shirts (the band, which I assume is based on the book series, played after I had to leave). I was disappointed that I never saw a luchador match or the freak show. Had to hit and run. I left early (4:20ish) to go back to my folks' house to mend a fence and pick up my kid.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse