Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin
I had read this back in 1970 when it was part of my parents book collection. Having the urge to reread it I checked Amazon and was surprised to see it was no longer in print. I jokingly put out an email at work offering to trade it for a TV stand I was selling. A coworker emailed me back saying that Ira Levin had refused to allow Random House the right to reissue it because of some dispute over 'Rosemary's Baby'.

I finally got a copy from Ebay, a first-edition hardcover inscribed with 'Lewis and Carolyn Dow, 1970' on the flyleaf.

The story follows the life of Li RM35M4419, nicknamed 'Chip'. His world is a genetically engineered perfect society. Monthly injections keep everyone sedate and cheerful. Life is carefully monitored by the supercomputer 'Uni'. It chooses your career, your mate, where you live etc.

Chip's grandfather puts some crazy ideas in Chip's head, like 'what if you could choose your own profession?'. This behavior gets Chip extra sedation and the attention of a rebel group that has figured out a way to reduce their medication.

Chip joins the group and enjoys life being relatively alert. He even figures out a way to avoid being medicated altogether.

No more spoilers. If you want to find out about the secret islands, the plot to destroy Uni and the surprise revelation you'll have to get your own copy.
[Image: magpie13.gif]