Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Sol @ Roaring Camp
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Well that was super fun. Spear still burn! He’s astoundingly spry, dancing and drumming, nothing like that massive reggae carousel, that Burning Spear sound. Live Up in the Hills was so on point.

I walked home from the train and am in bed and it’s not even 10:30 yet. The train was wacky. 

I am basking in the post show glow and covered with mustard and wasabi.
This was my first Mtn Sol, and I'm totally hooked, especially with the train service. The boardwalk is like a 10-15 min walk from the bungalow, so hopping the train there and back again was ideal. 

I joined two of my JM family, my partner psych supervisor Sarah and her bf Ben, who has risen to be a force in the org. Both of them are native MoBay residents but it was the first time either of us took the train. The train wasn't nearly full, very comfortable, full of fun loving Cruzians. It's about a 45 min ride to Roaring Camp.

First of, the train is hella noisy. When the wheels hit the curves, they screech out a deafening squeal. Also there was this train guy narrating. He was an old nerdy train dude, funny in part because he made some jokes, also because he was so honestly nerdy. The train goes past a major homeless encampment, and his comments about it being Ike's Bike shop (due to all the stolen bikes that are often there) were spot on funny. 

Much of the ride is through unincorporated areas but it eventually opens up into redwoods. That was very pleasant. 

It was like a Disney ride. I really wanted to see a dinosaur exhibit, or a yeti or something...
When we arrived, China Cats were playing. For some reason, I forgot that they were on the line up. We got our bearings (my accomplices knew the terrain having trod there before). I was wide eyed with joy and delight. Three stages, two larger ones facing each other. Lots of nice booths of hippie stuff, and a fine food selection. 

We grabbed drinks at a booth where one of my friends was friends with one of the workers (not friendly enough to get a discount). I tried a refreshing elixir, a fizzy turmeric lemon drink, 5%. I had not eaten since breakfast so it hit well. 

I ran into a reggae DJ friend, Aye Que Linda. She was working the KSQD booth. They had a killer shirt, a squid in a Hokusai like wave on red and I was sorely tempted but I listened to my inner reason and never buy T-shirts because I'm a T-shirt addict and have like hundreds of them. srsly. Two bureaus full plus and unkempt stack on the floor. It's bad. 

By the time all that was done, we didn't make it to China Cats, who were on the third small stage on the edge of the venue. But it turned out they were playing short sets all day, so I caught them later. 

Then, together with his accomplices, DM entered the mycelium networks...