Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belatedly educating self on music of all ages
Music is one of my weakest areas. I think it dates back to grade school when we were given a choice: Join choir or learn the words to the Star-Spangled Banner. That struck me as blackmail even before I knew the word for it. Anyway, I committed the Star-Spangled Banner to short-term memory and thereafter shunned music.

In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have been so militant about it. It probably deprived me of some important mental development. Still, it's never too late to learn.

So here's my question: Is there any easy way to listen to music from a particular year? You know, a website or web radio where you can choose a year and they'll play music only from that year?

I've taken care of the random element by buying stock in PBW. That's PS Wilderhill Energy -- one of those bloody feel-good "green" stocks investing in alternate forms of energy. I bought it at 20.02, with the expectation that it would drop haphazardly. It has, down into the 19.90s, then into the 19.80s (neither exactly prime musical periods to my mind), after which it gave me a scare by jumping to 20.11. I mean, how the hell am I supposed to listen to future music? If the stock had continued to go up, it would have been a total waste of my investment (the only bright spot would be if it reached 25.25; then I would listen to one bloody song from morning to midnight and probably go insane). To my relief it has gone back down. I've been secretly hoping for the '60s and '70s (music of my youth), but it skipped those and is now all the way back to 19.41.

Is that circa How Much Is That Doggy in the Window?

See? I just don't know. After all my fine efforts, I still don't know how to find and play music from a given year. Any leads on this would be greatly appreciated.

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
Hang with people who know more and like to talk about it and absorb what they know. It works.

I used to be very ignorant about music. Since Greg and I have been together, I've developed an appreciation for most genres and have gone from very ignorant to only mildly retarded. Big Grin I used to only listen to AM news, NPR and/or audio books and now I've got an iPod shuffle (and thanks again for that present, sweetie -- never would have asked for it and can't imagine how I ever lived without it!) jam packed with a very wide ranging mix.

I still feel pretty stupid and there are plenty of "classics" I'm sure I've missed, and of course there's still plenty of music I just can't get into and won't like no matter how much I learn about it, but I've learned to never say never. You should have seen how excited I was the day that ED posted something about Flaming Lips and I not only recognized the band's name but had actually just listened to "Do You Realize" on my iPod -- I was just thrilled to be able to say, hey, I know that one!
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.