Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Woman King (2022)
(07-06-2022, 11:41 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: The Woman King

(09-08-2022, 09:47 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I just bailed on THE WOMAN KING

Just not up to trekking to SF for this, even though I really do want to see it and it would make for an easy KFM review. Been writing too much lately. Need a break.

Enjoyed it. It began as a coming of age warrior tale and developed into a tour de force for Viola Davis. There’s political intrigue, sisterhood, ptsd, violation, trauma, heartbreak, slavery issues and redemption… plus swordfights! Well paced with some decent fight choreo (although I liked the dance numbers better - a few are almost Bollywood level). John Boyega does his best Denzel for the king. The other warriors are good - Lashanna Lynch (no relation, right?) & Sheila Atim were standout. Lots of machete like swords, spears, flintlocks, and even a rope dart. I found myself more into it as the story progressed. 

D00M recommended.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I wish I was related to Lashana Lynch, especially since she is best buds with Captain Marvel.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

And Minn-Erva! And Sersi! Can’t forget them.

Actually we all forget them which is why the Asian leading ladies of the mcu have dual roles…
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I didn't realize it was John Boyega until the credits. I kept thinking he reminded me of the kid from The Last Dragon.

I was too involved in with this. Historically it is a very crucial story but I never became too invested in it. They needed a little less cutting in the fight scenes to let them play out. There were a lot of good story bits, plenty of twists and turns in the story. Overall it felt like a 1970s movie of the week special capitalizing on the success of Black Panther.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(02-27-2023, 06:27 AM)Greg Wrote: Overall it felt like a 1970s movie of the week special capitalizing on the success of Black Panther.

with Greek tragedy/Shakespearian twists. The gods must be crazy!

--tg
I'm sick of Viola Davis. She takes herself WAY too seriously.
the hands that guide me are invisible