Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secret Superstar (2017)
Another wildly successful Hindi film in PRC starring Amir Khan and ingénue Zaira Wasim, who played Khan’s daughter in Dangal http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=4130

It reminded faintly of Ms. Marvel because there’s this peek into common Muslim life although Ms Marvel was all woke inclusive, this is more casual. Wasim plays a Muslim teen under an abusive father who has a talent for singing and guitar. When her mom gets her a laptop, she starts posting her videos and becomes a viral sensation, but because of her strict father, she wears a full hajib and doesn’t give her name. 

It’s a coming of age tale, a mother/daughter tale, a middle school romance, a satire of the recording industry, and a harsh comment on abuse. So many feels. A well crafted story that never relents from its emotional roller coaster - Wasim is amazing, even more so because it’s her singing and playing guitar. It had so many poignant scenes, some sappy, some predictable, but all effective. The 2 1/2 hour ru time flew by. 

It’s easy to see why China loved it because like Khan’s Dangal, ultimately it’s about filial piety and the Chinese love that.

Khan plays a ridiculous caricature of an egotist star/producer - so sleazy and valid, but then shifts to a good hearted soul. His character plays a pivotal role but as comic relief. 

Ultimately it’s really sweet and uplifting. I confess I was moved by the totally predictable totally overdone finale. And Khan’s credits dance number was a funny goofy epilogue.

Not D00M recommended. I reserve recommending this only to my fellow Bollywood appreciator cf.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse