Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vengeance Is Mine, All Others Pay Cash (2021)
A strange Indonesian ghetto crime martial arts flick. The main protag is an impotent street fighter. He takes his frustrations out by beating the crap out of people until he meets the female bodyguard of a boss he’s aiming to beat up and they have a brutal flirt fight and fall for one another. He satisfies her by fingering and takes up guitar to improve his fingering. That’s maybe a third into the flick, then it gets weird.

It’s low budget, filled in ghetto locations not sets, which gives it an authentic feel. There’s an intentionality to what’s happening - random pieces fall into place. And there’s so very perverse sexual implications like the protag’s mom healing rubbing lineament on his dick and then trying to stimulate it by … well I shouldn’t spoil that but it’s off camera anyway. There’s also these slogan painted with a figure on the backs of trucks and the figures animate - they wink or narrate but that falls into place astonishingly well.

The choreo is ok for what it is. There’s some creativity to the dialog but the cinematography is a bit flat and the actors are only competent not highly skilled but I suppose that gives it some authenticity.

I dunno, man. This is one of those Indonesian films that’s just weird but not gratuitously so. The filmmakers have a vision and the weirdness is just a color of their palette. When it was done, there’s a tragic story of abuse and love. 

I’m only going to recommend this to cf mostly because I’m curious on his take. Maybe Yeti too because it has bursts of violence that are somewhat novel. Greg won’t like it. He hates everything. The rest of you might find it too low budget and foreign.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
This movie could have easily taken the penile dysfunction main theme in a very obvious route by plastering a flaccid penis all over the screen and titling it The Man with the Flaccid Penis.  Fortunately, the director chose to take it in a more subtle direction.  Instead of showing a flaccid penis, he eludes to one in numerous ways, such as having a mother--

Okay, we won't go there.

Skipping right along, what was up with that high-cheekboned gal that shows up here and there, even coming out of the ocean with a stringer of fish and dressed as a ninja to kill someone, then stripping to her standard yellow blouse outfit?  Not that I'm complaining.  Because nothing shouts (subtly) penile dysfunction quite like a high-cheekboned gal coming out of the ocean with a stringer of fish and dressed as a ninja to kill someone.

I need to check Wikipedia to see if they have a write-up.
I'm nobody's pony.
The further away I get from this film, the more messed up I think it was...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse