Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blonde (2022) by Andrew Dominik
Ana de Armas is Marilyn Monroe.

The game to be played here is, "Is this particular event even close to reality?"  Lots of things happen, and who knows if any of it is close to the truth.   As biography, it's highly questionable.  As an entertaining work of fiction, I think it works pretty well.

Ana de Armas as Marilyn Monroe?  There are times when she really nails it.  With makeup, blowing kisses to her fans, she's got it.  Often at other times, she's nailed it too.  She's got a breathy insecure delivery that  goes a long way.  Occasionally, the facade falters, and I'm not sure why.  Certainly Ana's bone structure doesn't quite capture Marilyn from certain angles, but I suspect it's something deeper.

There's nudity, but not much.  So why the NC-17?  This is the story of a young actress making it in Hollywood in the early days.  It shows it like it is.  Not graphically, but enough that an underage lad can fill in the full frame of what is being suggested.

All in all, I enjoyed it.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Ana wins awards for her portrayal.
I'm nobody's pony.