Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best of Stand-up 2022
I didn't see a lot of standup specials and this highlight reel was a good opportunity to see what I missed. And to quote REO Speedwagon "I ain't missing a thing"

Although the very nature of the show didn't give a lot of time to see the comics. Most received a little more than a minute to show their stuff. In many cases, for me that was too much. Part of the problem is my sensibilities. I'm not a fan of women being vulgar, make of that what you will, and there were plenty of those. A lot of the African American comics performed in a style that was not for me. And then there were a bunch that just weren't funny.

I think there were two that I wanted to go back and see more of. One was Jeff Foxworthy and the other was a comic who advocated for a national day where the army took on members of the NRA.

I don't recommend this unless you really need to see what you missed. Again, see REO Speedwagon.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Thanks. I was contemplating this. I’ll give it a kiss now.

I feel ya on vulgarity but both for men and women. Back when I was young, so many years ago, I asked for a Richard Pryor record for my birthday (or maybe it was Xmas) and my mom was horrified when she listened to it. That stuck with me. I suppose that’s one reason in into Trevor Noah - he’s refreshingly clean. 

I do watch the occasional Netflix stand up but I usually document that here so you know that already.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Based on the few laughs I got from this show, I watched the Jeff Foxworthy show from this year. His humor hasn't changed. The title of the show was The Good Old Days so there was a lot of riffing on that phrase ala You Might Be A Redneck but it was about how things were different when we were younger with a sizable chunk on the rotary phones with long extension cords. The only thing that almost saves it is the story he tells at the end about ending up naked in a hallway at a hotel.

Neal Brennan: Blocks

Watched this special after seeing one of his bits during the special. It was a bit about 100 NRA members taking on 2 members of the US Army to see who would do better. It was all very quiet comedy. And it was also very personal about Neal. It had some very funny bits, but the end was kind of somber as talked about his personal health issues. But he does this one thing right at the end that was very cool.

SPOILER

The backdrop to the stage was all these little shelves with carved wooden icons on it. He made a joke that a former friend made it and he seemed displeased about it. Each icon referred to a different bit in his act. There was a gun, a cross. Kanye's white sunglasses and a bunch of other things. All through the show, he would fiddle with them or rearrange as he did his routine. There was also a pinhole camera mounted in the display to get shots of Neal. But at the very as the theater was going into darkness, as he was talking about what was wrong with his brain, he flipped a side light on that cast shadows from all the blocks. The shadow was off his head in profile. Very cool.

(01-10-2023, 10:09 AM)Greg Wrote: It had some very funny bits, but the end was kind of somber as talked about his personal health issues. 

Check out his previous Netflix special it was similarly funny...

--tg
I like him. I enjoyed both of those, but apparently was too lazy to post here.
the hands that guide me are invisible