Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pale Blue Eye
(12-07-2022, 04:30 PM)Greg Wrote: The Pale Blue Eye Full trailer. January 6th

That was enjoyable - a period murder mystery at West Point with Edgar Allen Poe. I was immediately pulled in by the wintery atmosphere and the militaristic tone. Bale delivers his usual authenticity to the ‘detective’ and Melling is phenomenal as Poe. He rises to Bale’s level in an unusual cop buddy twist. I’m starting to really get into his performances. He completely distances himself from his break out stereotype role, and is becoming a unique acting talent. 

I took a wild guess at the murderer early on and out of sheer luck was right. Hp factor 2 : Scabbers & Dudley. Extra points for Gainsbourg, Anderson & Duvall. 

There’s an initial autopsy scene that was excessively graphic (or maybe it just struck me so because I was digging into a bowl of arrabiata spaghetti). But after that, it’s a straight up period investigation. It has its twists but only the finale mcguffin seems twisty. The rest is pretty par for the course. It’s really Bale and Melling who make this outstanding. 

D00M recommended just because it’s a well told murder mystery.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The was dull. Or was it just slow and I don't like slow? No it was dull. It was fun to see Duvall pop up, but it was kind of wasted. Now this could have been the usual darkness film making where they forgot to buy lights but they did actually light the scenes. Although I think they thought it would be fun to light everything with candlelight which lends an odd air to the film. Bale was his usual actor-y self leaving the twitches to his co-star Melling as Edgar Allen Poe.

I thought the ending was completely out of left field and so much exposition. Ten minutes of let me tell you what happened. Although I did like the tie-in of the two shots of Bale by the river. But if you are going to give us a mystery at least give us a few clues as to the murderer
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm