Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Noise
Oof. My tummy hurts…

(12-02-2022, 02:56 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 10:26 AM)Greg Wrote: Have you ever seen a trailer and had no idea what the movie was about? Welcome to White Noise.

This explains the teaser trailer a bit more. Looks good. I'm in. 

…my tummy hurts from jumping on the crap grenade for all of you. Thank me later.

It starts off as a decent black humor comedy. Driver is a professor of Hitler studies who doesn’t speak German in the 80s. His wife has a secret. They have several kids from different marriages that are constant rivals. There’s an accident that releases a mysterious toxic cloud and everyone must evacuate. 

You see all this in the trailer and it’s the first half of the film. And it’s funny, at least to me. It takes some savage pokes at academia and Driver discusses random philosophical topics with his colleagues including Cheadle who wants to be the expert of Elvis. There’s commentary on suburban malaise, government, the pandemic and masking, the end of the emergency… and that’s where it comes apart.

The film then switches gears to focus on Gerwig’s issues, meditates on the fear of death, and drug addictions. No longer funny. Sad and a bit sick. It’s such a tone and topic shift and totally abandons all the entertaining elements in the first half. The last half is a downer, struggling to pitch its philosophical points in a seedy unpleasant way. 

It ends with a flailing attempt at a Bollywood number in an A&P supermarket. The only notable point is that Elfman did the soundtrack. But even that’s not worth it.

Not D00M recommended at all. If you are foolish enough to not heed my warning, you might be amused by the quirky humor in the first part and think ‘another bad call by DM’ but once that plot pivots, you will regret ignoring my sacrifice here.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse