Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sr. (2022) by Chris Smith
A documentary on Robert Downy Sr.  It's directed by Chris Smith, but Robert Downy Jr. is the driving force.  He wants to get to know his father better before it's too late.  And he wants his children to have a memory of him.  It strikes me that this was made a bit too late--the last three years of his life.  He suffers from Parkinsons Disease (or Charlie Parkinson Disease, as his wife jokingly delivers his scripted line in an early skit--a good example of his off-the-wall humor).

This could have been a maudlin affair, but Sr. remains playful, in good spirits, even ventures to shoot his own version of the documentary in parallel.  In the end, a rather touching father-son affair, and a no-nonsense exploration of Sr.'s nonsensical counterculture life.

I've seen this rated as high as 4th best movie of the year.  I wouldn't put this that high, but it's up there. 

I've watched a couple of Sr.'s movies since then, and would recommend Putney Swope if you want to sample Sr.  Some of the humor couldn't be done today.  He's so irreverent of everything.  Some lady from his past remembered him as "innocent" when asked for a one-word description.  She then clarified that despite his often biting humor, it was done in a scattergun way that hit everyone equally, and made him seem barbless.

A guarded recommendation.
I'm nobody's pony.
I've been curious about this one but I'm not ready to bite the bullet just yet.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm