Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
(09-08-2022, 08:35 AM)Greg Wrote: Glass Onion: A Knives Out mystery

I'll confess. I didn't think the first one was all that good.

(11-07-2022, 09:06 AM)Greg Wrote: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)

Coming to Netflix Dec 23. In theaters earlier.

That was fun. This is much more ambitious and humorous than the first. In that Christie style, a group of suspects are assembled in isolation - here on the luxury island of an ultra rich ceo. And it’s ridiculous obscene luxury. 

All have shady pasts which are revealed in the course of the film. There’s a big twist, and the story is retold in the context of that, revealing our assumptions about the initial version were distorted. Then there’s another twist. Then the reveal, then mayhem. The first big twist and story rewind was fun.

It’s a fun ensemble - all are used to playing cartoonish roles and seem to enjoy it. Craig is funny as the detective. He seems to be enjoying playing this role and I hope he continues with it. The character doesn’t develop much further, but Craig seems more relaxed now that the role is more established and is more playful.

I did laugh out loud at something. It was random. I may have giggled a few times at other quips. 

I found this stronger that the original http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=5328 with the caveat to Greg not to expect too much. It’s just a tongue in cheek detective mystery.

There are some great cameos. Those mostly happen at the beginning before they get to the island. 

D00M recommended.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Who are you and what film did you see?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I enjoyed it, but it was preposterous. A little skewering of rich techies and influencers, which was welcome. The guy from Guardians of the Galaxy is about the same here as he was there; I think the part could have been better cast. Christina was disturbed by his wrinkly scalp.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Totally preposterous but it worked for me once I got on board with it. And I share Christina’s disturbation. So wrinkly. Must be all them steroids. But it did add to his acting range (not really).

(12-24-2022, 06:14 AM)Greg Wrote: Who are you and what film did you see?
 A mystery!
The mystery failed for me. It was an immediate, "oh, he did it" And they were all unlikable. I didn't care about any of them. I did like the constant name dropping by Miles. But it seemed like a chore to solve the mystery. The only genuinely funny moment for me was when Benoit Blanc did his bit early on in the evening. I also liked his paramour.

I guess I wanted it to be more clever. The mystery was very predictable and even Benoit complained about it. I hoped there would be a better twist in there.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Did anyone catch any movie references?

"Oh my god, it's full of stars" and I think there was a call out to the Jurassic Park finale scene.

--tg
(12-24-2022, 09:50 AM)Greg Wrote: I guess I wanted it to be more clever. The mystery was very predictable and even Benoit complained about it. I hoped there would be a better twist in there.

Did you miss the title? That was the whole point of it. When Craig yells ‘No! It’s just dumb!’ after Hudson says it’s ‘so dumb it’s brilliant’ the glass onion goes meta and the parody is complete. 

I kept thinking that there were movie references… no wait, that was Willow. http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...3#pid61683
(12-24-2022, 09:32 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: And I share Christina’s disturbation. So wrinkly. Must be all them steroids. But it did add to his acting range (not really).

Apparently Christina and I were in front of a trending opinion

Dave Bautista's Head Wrinkles In 'Glass Onion' Were A Star Of Their Own According To Fans
https://uproxx.com/viral/dave-bautista-h...reactions/
Wholesome viewing for me & H (who does not like ultra-vi). She nailed it right away.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.