Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths
Don't watch this trailer. It won't tell you anything about what this film is about. I'm not sure it's a film that can be described in a trailer at all.

This is the latest from Director Alejandro G. Iñárritu, who did Birdman and The Revenent, and it's like walking into his dreams. It's Mexican surrealism, a self-indulgent plunge into Mexican-American and artistic indentity, with a grandisimo dollop of politics. The story follows Silverio, a journalist and filmmaker, a thinly guised metaphor of Iñárritu, as he's processing being the first Mexican to receive some specific filmmaking award. This is intertwined with his relationships to his parents, wife, and children, as well as his celebrity and art. It's one of those 'art looks in a mirror' but this is a funhouse mirror in a Mexican carnival. 

The cinematography is superb. Iñárritu is known for his one-ers and he pulls off several spectacular one-ers here as the camera follows Silverio through chaotic crowds and labyrinthian environments. The shot swirls and turns and feels so natural, until it culminates in a jaw-dropping finale shot that brings the realization that every move was orchestrated and choreographed precisely. Beyond the one-ers, there are shots that are so meticulously composed that their sheer beauty is overwhelming. If you're a filmmaker (and I know some D00Mers are) this is a must watch, just to see his technical flair. Iñárritu can move a camera like no one else. And some of the locations are pure eye candy.

The surrealism starts immediately as ridiculous cartoon ideas play out and role seamlessly into others. Much of it feel stream of consciouness as it moves back and forth through time and memories. Many are beautifully imagined and actualized, and remarkably decoded towards the end. There is a method to the madness. 

There are moments of exposition that are a bit preachy, and others that drop wisdom bombs with machine gun rapidity. There was a point when I wanted to take notes.

All that being said, this is not for everyone. It's long - nearly 3 hours - and meanders about in a self absorbed way. Many will find it too artsy fartsy. I was leaning towards that opinion in the beginning but it won me over in the end.

It's meta in that it comments on itself. In one scene, a critic lambasts Silverio's latest documentary by leveling criticisms obviously aimed at Bardo (some scenes segue into what must have been that documentary). One big crowd scene falls apart to reveal that it is just a scene being filmed for the movie (perhaps that doc again). That would've been cheesy but it's more of a behind-the-scenes to show off that it wasn't cgi, but a real crowd. 

The finale mcguffin got me because it's highly personal to something I experienced. It left me with a lot of psychic cud to chew on...

Wholeheartedly recommended for D00M film buffs. Not recommended for D00Mers who are offended by self righteousness bordering on pretentiousness, or anyone who can't handle the surreal (that would be anti-D00M I should think).

I kinda wish I was high when I watched this...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
What DM said.

A lot of surrealistic images and scenes thrown together such that you think they can't possibly be reassembled into anything coherent, but then they are, more than you would think.

Not enjoyable like an action-packed martial arts flick, but fascinating in it's orchestration of scenes.  It's very cerebral, and asks a lot of hard questions.  Dare I call it a tour de force?

While the trailer uses Beatle music to great effect, there is no Beatles music in the movie.  I hope that doesn't constitute a spoiler.  It puzzles me, because they must have paid big bucks for its use, but only for the trailer.
I'm nobody's pony.
No Beatles

Bowie

Used to great effect. 

Several scenes are still wedged in my memory. I keep replaying them. I may have to watch this again to see how it’s all fits together because just as you say, the seemingly random becomes coherent. 

A brilliant film. I say yes to tour de force (although Birdman hung together better)
Quote:
(127
F[Image: 0b251eba-3e33-11ed-a91b-3658cb3b13d5.jpg]EVER EXCLUSIVE
CARNE y ARENA: A Groundbreaking Virtual Reality Experience
 Thu 22 Dec, 2022

⭐ [b]CARNE y ARENA[/b] is an Academy Award®-winning, groundbreaking and immersive virtual reality experience by director Alejandro G. Iñárritu. Based on true accounts, CARNE y ARENA allows visitors in Richmond Waterfront to walk in a vast space and live a fragment of the refugees’ personal journeys through the use of state-of-the-art VR technology. Get your tickets!

[b]Tickets for CARNE y ARENA: A Groundbreaking Virtual Reality Experience in Richmond Waterfront[/b]
[b]Standard Admission[/b] - includes entry to the experience
  • Adult (ages 16+)

• Student (ages 15+) - valid ID required

[b]Highlights[/b]
? Discover a groundbreaking and immersive virtual reality experience by Academy Award®-winning director Alejandro G. Iñárritu
? Explore the human condition of immigrants and refugees through VR technology
? In partnership and produced by Legendary Entertainment, Emerson Collective, Fondazione Prada and PHI Studio
?️ CARNE y ARENA premiered at the 70th Cannes Film Festival, the first virtual reality project to be featured in the festival's history

[b]General Info[/b]
? Date: various dates available (select when you purchase)
? Opening hours:
- Wednesdays–Thursdays: 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. (last entry 7:45 p.m)
- Fridays: 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. (last entry 8:45 p.m)
- Saturdays: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. (last entry 8:45 p.m)
- Sundays: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. (last entry 5:45 p.m)
Special dates
- Boxing Day Monday December 26 From 10:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (Last entry 5 p.m.)
- Monday January 2 - 10:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (last entry 5 p.m.)
- Martin Luther King Day Monday, January 16 - From 10:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (last entry 5 p.m.)
⏳ Duration: 30 minutes
? Location: The Craneway Pavilion
? Age requirement: 15+ with valid ID
♿ Accessibility: the exhibition is accessible to those with reduced mobility, although additional assistance may be required. Please see the FAQs for more information and contact the venue prior to visit
❓ Please consult the FAQs of this experience here

[b]Description[/b]
Ready to immerse yourself in CARNE y ARENA (Virtually present, Physically invisible)? Alejandro G. Iñárritu's Academy Award®-winning virtual reality experience explores the human condition of immigrants and refugees. Based on true accounts, the superficial lines between subject and bystander are blurred and bound together, allowing individuals to walk in a vast space and thoroughly live a fragment of the refugees' personal journeys using state-of-the-art VR technology. Get your tickets for CARNE y ARENA: A Groundbreaking Virtual Reality Experience in Richmond Waterfront!