Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinocchio
(07-27-2022, 06:40 AM)Greg Wrote: I'm confused. Isn't there a Tom Hanks version of this story coming out as well? Did it come out already?
This is Guillermo Del Toro's version of Pinocchio.

Bravo! This was an extraordinary retelling, and I’m not just saying that out of my love of stop motion animation. I should mention that the original Disney animated version stands among one of my favs - the water effects, the darkness of Pleasure Island, the good fairy sparkle - it’s amazing animation for its time.

Del Toro makes an even darker tale, yet still family friendly. His fantastic creatures are still a level beyond - richly imagined and so many eyeballs - the cricket, the fairy, the dogfish, and especially the vision of the afterlife were visionary and so Del Toro. 

He resets it in nazi Italy, which gives it an antifa vibe. And what a voice cast. McGregor. Waltz, Perlman, Blanchett, Swinton, Turturro plus hp1 - Filch. It has some good life lessons without getting overly preachy. A fine kids film, with just enough substance for adults. Waltz and Blanchett are so on point. 

There’s a cane sword but no sword fight. Lots of brandishing however.

D00M recommended.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Handcarved cinema is a 30min bts - worth the watch because Guillermo is well spoken and stop motion animation is intrinsically fascinating. But it has spoilers so watch it afterwards.
What are your thoughts on A.I.? So Spielberg, so not Kubrick. I went in not knowing it was a reimagining of Pinocchio. 

--tg
I barely remember AI (meaning I didn’t review it here).

Data from Star Trek TNG is a reimagining of Pinocchio.
Watched it.  Mixed feelings.  Not certain of what to think of giving it a real world context (e.g., WWII).  Also not certain of having so many other competing senses of wonder, which might have detracted from Pinocchio's strangeness.  It would help if I remembered Disney's Pinocchio for comparison.  No memory of that storyline at all.

Still, a wondrous piece of modern stop-action.
I'm nobody's pony.
https://gizmodo.com/pinocchio-netflix-ar...1849941461

Quote:Netflix Makes [i]Pinocchio's [/i]Art Book and Screenplay Free for All
Can't get enough of Guillermo del Toro and Mark Gustafson's stop-motion film? Then Netflix is doing you a solid.

December 31, 2022

Ever since Netflix’s stop-motion [i]Pinocchio[/i]movie arrived on the platform earlier in the month, the film from directors Guillermo del Toro and Mark Gustafson has received high marks and no shortage of acclaim. It seems likely to get some nominations at the Oscars (and already has over at the Golden Globes), and has been made a part of several end of year “Best of” lists, including two of io9'sown.

If you find that you can’t get enough of the good [i]Pinocchio [/i]as the year winds down, Netflix has released the full digital version of the film’s 224-page art book, written by Gina McIntyre and free for all to consume. McIntyre’s been a longtime author of art books and companion pieces for movies, with his bibliography including books for [i]Little Women 2019, Ready Player One, [/i]and previous del Toro films [i]The Shape of Water [/i]and [i]Nightmare Alley. [/i]Along with concept art of the characters, certain scenes, and promotional material (and commentary from key staff), the book includes a foreword from del Toro himself.

“My life has been supported by two essential myths: Frankenstein and Pinocchio,” begins the foreword. “Both are father-son stories. Both are about oddities learning to navigate the ways of the world in search of their own humanity. That, in a nutshell (or a pine cone), is my entire life. [...] I knew I didn’t want Pinocchio to transform into a flesh-and-blood boy—I just wanted him to teach the world to see him as one.”

In addition to the art book, Netflix also made the [i]Pinocchio [/i]screenplay similarly flreely available for the public. The 120-page script was co-written by del Toro and [i]Over the Garden Wall [/i]creator Patrick McHale, spinning out of the story initially conceived by the former and screenwriter Matthew Robbins. If you’ve got any interest in film, either or both are definitely well worth checking out. It’s good that Netflix is doing what it can to incentivize audiences to learn more about the making of the film, which is just as well, because it many may consider it the streamer’s best film for all of 2022.

--tg
I gave up on this. Just didn't like it. And the song was terrible.

TG - I think AI would have been better if Kubrick had lived longer. It starts out with that cold and distant Kubrick feel, then turns into a big chase with Spielberg, more of a kid's movie. And I think it should have ended with him underwater looking at the sign (statue? I can't remember) forever. The ending was bad.
the hands that guide me are invisible
According to the notes on the film, the ending was as per Kubrick.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Well it still didn't work for me.
the hands that guide me are invisible
The "I wanna be a real boy" message was hammered really hard in that Spielberg sort of way. It was a bit too on-the-nose for a Kubric film for me...

--tg