Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orígenes Secretos (Unknown Origins 2020)
I’m not sure why I watched this. I have 2-3 dozen titles in every one of my streaming queues but ignored them all and I watched this instead on a lark. It was okay. Very Spanish.

It’s a buddy flick, a police procedural. A rigid cop who is rising in the ranks gets partnered with the son of a retiring cop who is a comic nerd because a serial murderer is staging deaths like comic book origin stories. The cop’s superior officer is a cosplay hottie who first appears cosplaying Sailor Moon. Also, one of the victims is a collector of fantasy swords (although no sword fights).

There’s lots of nerd fan service with constant references to comic and fan culture. I did lol once at a well played reference. The nerds are cooler than the cop thinks and it parodies classic comic tropes while telling its tale in an almost meta way. 

Honestly, I might not have enjoyed it if it was in English. The subs distracted me from the film’s flaws and the Spanish accent gave it just enough exoticness to make up for its mediocrity. I would’ve liked to see more Madrid. 

The corpses were excessively gruesome. And the mortician was another droll smart ass - that’s such a thing with cinematic morticians now.

I was distracted by this but not enough to warrant a D00M rec. I’m not sure that any of you are that into Spanish cinema or nerd culture as me so what I enjoyed probably won’t resonate.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse