Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wendell and Wild (2022)
Finished this film wishing desperately I could have those two hours back.

I was really looking forward to this. It's Henry Selick who did The Nightmare before Christmas. ( He's currently making the rounds questioning why he didn't get more credit for that film) It stars Key and Peele back together for the first time in a while. James Hong and Ving Rhames play pivotal roles. Yeah, no. Cue sad trombone.

It's starts off with the death of the main girls parents. Then the girl, Koniqua, gets into all sorts of trouble including getting beat up at school. She retaliates by kicking the bully down the stairs. She goes to reform school. She gets a break to go to a new school in her old home town only to find the town is sad and depressed and the brewery her father owned has burnt down killing many people. Then we take a quick trip to hell where we meet Wendell and Wilder played by Key and Peele. Time to bring in the chuckles, right? Yeah, no. There is another bit where we see all these souls being tortured and destroyed. It's all pretty bleak and I don't know what I've gotten myself into. And this is the first ten minutes.

There is the usual boarding school drama where cliques are formed but Koniqua is the mean one. There is a trans boy who is feeling left out from his old friends because of the transition. The main thrust of the plot is about developers who want to turn the town into a prison. James Hong plays the head priest at the reform school. His name is Best, Level Best. It's the dumb like that that makes me hate.

The whole thing never came together. They should have spent more time on the story because it was depressing the whole way through. There is sort of an uplifting message at the end but it was too little too late. More and better humor would really have helped this. Along with some killer songs by Danny Elfman.

Highly recommended. Everyone should see it.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm