Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's the biggest Monty Python fan in DOOM?
want

Quote:'The Shining' Axe, 'Gladiator' Armor, Monty Python's Holy Hand Grenade Set for London Auction
2:10 AM PDT 8/20/2019 by Alex Ritman

[Image: 101669_jack_torrances_jack_nicholson_hero_axe_1.jpg]
Credit: Prop Store

Jack Nicholson's Jack Torrance axe from 'The Shining'

Prop Store's U.K. sale has lots worth in excess of $7.5 million and also includes 007 pistols and 'Star Wars' lightsabers.
Film and TV fans with cash to burn can pick up props such as Russell Crowe's Maximus armor from Gladiator, Jack Nicholson's famed axe from The Shining and the holy hand grenade of Antioch in Monty Python and the Holy Grail at a U.K. auction next month. 
The items are part of a major haul of 900 lots of memorabilia set to be included in Prop Store's upcoming London sale, now in its sixth year. The 2019 catalog, unveiled Tuesday, comes with an estimated price tag in excess of $7.5 million, making it the U.K.'s largest live auction. 
Gladiator's Roman general armor (worn in the opening scenes) is estimated at $36,000 to $60,000, the axe swung by Jack Nicholson's Jack Torrance in The Shining is estimated at $48,000-$73,000, and the holy hand grenade — as thrown by Eric Idle's King Arthur to defeat the deadly Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog — is priced at $60,000 to $121,000. 
Elsewhere, other items include Mel Gibson's claymore sword from Braveheart($36,000 to $60,000), Samuel L. Jackson's lightsaber from Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith ($60,000 to $121,000), a Stormtrooper helmet from Star Wars: A New Hope ($145,000 to $181,000), a complete Batsuit worn by Michael Keaton in Batman ($97,000 to $145,000) and the Walther PPK Pistol with Silencer and Holster used by Pierce Brosnan in James Bond: Goldeneye ($48,000 to $73,000).
For those on a tighter budget, a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket announcement poster from Tim Burton’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, estimated at $362, and a Mr DNA Animation Cel, autographed by Steven Spielberg, from Jurassic Park and estimated at $725, are also up for sale.
The Prop Store auction will take place at London's BFI IMAX on Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Quote:Tomnadashan Mine
Monty Python fans will recognize this abandoned mine as the Cave of the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. 
 SUGGEST AN EDIT  ADD PHOTO

[Image: mine1.jpg]VIEW ALL PHOTOS
Tomnadashan Copper Mine. KAREN VERNON/CC BY-SA 2.0

BEEN HERE?

WANT TO VISIT?

There’s much more than dust and bits of metal hidden within the depths of this mine. If you’ve ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail, you know it’s home to things far more sinister.

Finding this mine is must for all Monty Python fans. They’ll immediately recognize it as the spot where King Arthur and his “brave” knights confront the cute but killer bunny that guards the Cave of Caerbannog, which is home to the Black Beast of Arrrghhh.
In the non-Monty Python World, the Cave of Caerbannog is really the abandoned Tomnadashan Mine. The mine was built in the 19th century, but attempts to glean copper, gold, and sulphur from its depths proved unsuccessful.
The abandoned mine is a quiet place—so don’t worry if you’ve forgotten to pack your Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. It’s also a fairly elusive spot. In fact, it’s so well-hidden that when Michael Palin and Terry Jones, two of the film’s stars, attempted to find the mine as part of celebrations for the film’s 25th anniversary, they couldn’t remember where it was located.
Know Before You Go
It's just northwest of Killin, Stirling, Scotland. It's a steep climb up the hill. Head for two gates opposite each other, one wooden, one iron. Finding a good place to park can be difficult, as you must make sure you aren't blocking the single-track road
DOOM TRIP!
Turn left at the sheep...and it’s just behind the rabbit.

—tg
Quote:This Tug Boat Just Sailed Down The Thames Blasting 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life'
[Image: img_20180623_103649_1.jpg]
BY WILL NOBLE

[img=564x0]https://assets.londonist.com/uploads/2020/03/i875/tug_boat.jpg[/img]When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle! Image: @GreenwichDiary
"Always look on the bright side of life..."
The chirpy song from the final scene of Monty Python's Life of Brian film could be heard blasting over the PA of a tug boat, putting along the Thames off the North Greenwich Peninsula this morning.

The magic moment — just the tonic for these unsettling times — was caught on camera, and posted on Twitter by @GreenwichDiary.

Quote:[Image: BBE9kPlL_bigger.png]
[/url]Greenwich Diary@GreenwichDiary

Here’s the famous police boat cheering #Greenwich up this morning with “Always look on the bright side of life” - THANK YOU!!!

[img=458x0]https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/1242400599313973258/pu/img/_wku8-01r1i39DzD?format=jpg&name=medium[/img]

3:39 AM - Mar 24, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

[url=https://twitter.com/GreenwichDiary/status/1242400655966384128]425 people are talking about this

Whoever you are, tug boat crew: you're absolute legends.
A movie of the musical based on a movie. So python.

Quote:'Spamalot' Movie: Paramount Acquires Musical; Casey Nicholaw Directing
EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures has acquired Spamalot, and the studio will be the one to mount a movie production based on the hit Broadway musical.
The project comes to Paramount from Fox, where both chairman/CEO Jim Gianopulos and Motion Pictures Group president Emma Watts were when it landed there. The film lost steam when Disney acquired Fox. The good news is the picture is fully developed, with a screenplay by Monty Python troupe member Eric Idle, with songs by Idle and John DuPrez. The director is Casey Nicholaw, who was the choreographer of the original Broadway production. He has worked on this project awhile, and in the interim has become the hottest director and choreographer on Broadway. His credits include Book of Mormon, Aladdin, Mean Girls, The Prom, The Drowsy Chaperone and Something Rotten!
The film will be produced by Dan Jinks (American Beauty and Big Fish) and Idle. Jon Gonda, Meg Lewis and Mike Ireland are the execs on the project for Paramount. The plan is to move right to casting and get underway this year.
The comedy is an adaptation of the 1975 film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which despite grossing just $1.9 million is considered a seminal comic film. The Broadway transfer was a huge hit, winning the Tony for Best Musical and one for its director, the late Mike Nichols. Nicholaw choreographed the original musical, which went on to do strong business on stages around the world.
Like the movie, the musical tackles the legend of King Arthur, with full tongue in cheek from the movie, and features many indelible moments from the Python film directed by Python members Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones, including The Knights Of Ni; the sickly Not Dead Fred, who refuses a ride in the cart reserved for deceased plague victims; the Black Knight whose arms and legs are cut off by King Arthur (‘it’s just a flesh wound”); the Killer Rabbit; and the Holy Hand Grenade unleashed to thwart the murderous bunny.
This reminds me of a sketch...involving a department store? and ants as pets?

(sorry, I can't figure out how to embed this here)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/comm..._wigs_out/

--tg
Good ol' Eric Idle. He's still got it.

The papal hammer story had to be the most popular story on the internet yesterday.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

From farcebook:
Quote:Sunset Blvd. Records

Behind The Music
The Traveling Wilburys
George Harrison first mentioned the Traveling Wilburys publicly during a radio interview with Bob Coburn on the show Rockline in February 1988.  When asked how he planned to follow up the success of his Cloud Nine album, Harrison replied: "What I'd really like to do next is ... to do an album with me and some of my mates ... It's this new group I got [in mind]: it's called the Traveling Wilburys, I'd like to do an album with them and then later we can all do our own albums again." According to Jeff Lynne, who co-produced Cloud Nine, Harrison introduced the idea of the two of them starting a band together around two months into the sessions for his album,  which began in early January 1987.  When discussing who the other members might be, Harrison chose Bob Dylan and Lynne opted for Roy Orbison. The term "Wilbury" also originated during the Cloud Nine sessions. Referring to recording errors created by faulty equipment, Harrison jokingly remarked to Lynne, "We'll bury 'em in the mix." Thereafter, they used the term for any small error in performance. Harrison first suggested "the Trembling Wilburys" as the group's name; at Lynne's suggestion, they amended it to "Traveling Wilburys".

During his Rockline interview, Harrison voiced his support for Dylan, at a time when the Dylan was experiencing an artistic and commercial low point in his career.  Harrison and Lynne became friends with Tom Petty in October 1987, when Petty and his band, the Heartbreakers, toured Europe as Dylan's backing group.  The friendship continued in Los Angeles later that year.  There, Harrison struck up a musical rapport with Petty based on their shared love of 1950s rock 'n' roll,  and Lynne began collaborating with Petty on what became Petty's debut solo album, Full Moon Fever, and writing songs with Orbison, Lynne's longtime musical hero, for Orbison's comeback album, Mystery Girl.  According to Petty, Harrison's dream for the Wilburys was to handpick the participants and create "the perfect little band", but the criteria for inclusion were governed most by "who you could hang out with". The five musicians also bonded over a shared appreciation of the English comedy troupe Monty Python.  Harrison, who had worked with the members of Monty Python on various productions by his company HandMade Films since the late 1970s, particularly appreciated Orbison's gift for impersonation and his ability to recite entire sketches by the troupe.

--tg

It is quite possible that the number of times that I’ve seen MP&tHG is in triple digits. And yes, I’m sorely tempted to see it again for this.
It's coming soon...

Dec 3 & 6 here in Marina

https://www.mercurystudios.co/news/monty...niversary/

[Image: PYTHONHG_OneSheet_Proof-rv3.jpg]
Quote:SF Sketchfest presents
ERIC IDLE BUT JEFF B. DAVIS
Castro Theatre
San Francisco, CA
Thursday, January 18, 2024
Doors: 6:30pm | Show: 7:30pm
[Image: Eric_Idle_10_15_23_V45-1024x492.png]