Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's the biggest Monty Python fan in DOOM?
I say me. I have an autographed edition of Eric Idle's Road to Mars. I even read the thing. What you got?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I *used* to be an MP geek, but overdosed and have given it a deserved rest. I think the only physical remnants of that period is the penguin on top of my television set, and that when I shut down my computer, it's Graham Chapman saying "All right, that's the end! Stop the program! Stop it!" I used to have two empty halves of coconuts and banged them together in a brilliant imitation of Patsy or Concord.

Then there's all the brain space retaining all the dialog from the TV shows and films. Frighteningly, I think I could regurgitate most of it word for word. Even without being cooerced by a comfy chair, soft cushions, or whilst being attacked by someone armed with fresh fruit. Or poin-ted sticks.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Big Red Book
The Brand New Monty Python Book
The Pythons on the Pythons (new)
The Rutland Dirty Weekend
Uncle Fegg's Nasty Book of Knowledge

Plus a bootleg Holy Grail script that was floating around at the time of the movie - it includes the first draft which is totally different and contains some then future skits.

I think I might even have a few more but the memory fails. I should dig those up and see if they're still in good condition. They should be.

I think that beats a Spamalot rabbit.
I have all the Gene books, less Rutland and the new one. I have the Holy Grail script. Also have a Ripping Yarns book. Have Python pre-cursor Goon Show records and several Spike Milligan books. Counts of course, as Spike was in Life of Brian. Have all the early records, including the 3 sided Matching Tie and Hankerchief. Saw MP&THG opening weekend in Westwood. Missed the giveaway coconuts by one show. (They ran out.) Of course have the complete DVD boxed set TV shows. Have all the features - ON LASERDISC. My brothers went to the same college as Terry Gilliam. Saw Nuns on the Run opening weekend. Can tell you where the line "A legend that will last a lunchtime" came from.

I think that's all I got. I don't suppose I'm the winner. I just felt like typing.
Well, I read Eric Idle's ripping yarn called "Hello, Sailor!"...wozzat worth?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Got me with the laserdiscs and the premieres, although I confess I don't have the DVDs either. I'm old school - I have videos, duped no less. Only made it to a sneak of Fisher King in NYC as a perk from ABA. It as through ABA that I met Idle and got the book signed. His line was suprisingly small, mostly because some big author (can't remember who) was signing at the same time, so I actually had a good amount of time to chat with him. He was delightful and very, very modest.

I have all the vinyl too. I had listened to the Matching Tie and Handkerchief several times after I got it, always getting the same side until the day I played it for my friends, which was the first time I heard side three. It took my like a dozen tries to make it play side two and convince my friends what I was on about. I have the Innes/Idle Rutland album too.

In junior high school, I taped every episode off PBS. That was audial cassette tape, mind you, prior to the introduction of home video. I also made my own shirts based off Gilliam cartoons. I did a great cartoon beast from the Joseph of Arimethea cave t-shirt.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/04...index.html
Quote: Hedgehog used in non-lethal assault
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- A New Zealand man has been accused of assault with a prickly weapon -- a hedgehog.

Police allege that William Singalargh, 27, picked up the hedgehog and threw it at a 15-year-old boy in the North Island east coast town of Whakatane on February 9.

"It hit the victim in the leg, causing a large, red welt and several puncture marks," police Senior Sgt. Bruce Jenkins said Monday. The teen did not need medical treatment, he added.

Police arrested Singalargh shortly after the incident, and charged him with assault with a weapon -- "namely the hedgehog," Jenkins said.

At a hearing in Whakatane District Court on February 14, Singalargh's lawyer said he intended to plead innocent, The Herald on Sunday newspaper reported. The case is due to resume on April 17. If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison, Jenkins said.

"People often get charged with assault for throwing things at other people," Jenkins said, although he admitted the use of a hedgehog as a weapon was "uncommon."

It was unclear if he also would face animal cruelty charges. The Herald said the hedgehog was dead when it was collected as evidence, but did not know if it was dead or alive at the time of the alleged attack.

The Herald reported Singalargh's arrest under the headline "Raise your hands and step away from the hedgehog."
I have the DVD set. I watch Michael Palin's travel shows.

I went to see 'Holy Grail' at the Paramount a couple years ago and am trying to get my boss to pay for 'Spamalot' here in LV.

Oh, and I have too many lines of dialogue in my head.

"Perhaps he was dictating...?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Oh God please make it stop
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Their 10-show-run begins tomorrow. It ends with a worldwide simulcast on July 20.
Quote:Monty Python Live (Mostly)
[Image: 186397H1.jpg]

Coming Soon
Synopsis

Fathom Events and Picturehouse Entertainment invite you to experience comedy legends Monty Python’s long-awaited reunion when Monty Python Live (mostly) is broadcast LIVE to cinemas nationwide on Sunday, July 20 with rebroadcasts on July 23 and 24. At a combined age of just 361, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin will once again perform some of their greatest hits, with modern, topical, Python-esque twists.

Running Time
3 hr 0 min
Genre
Comedy
Release Date
July 20, 2014
https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/monty...ive-mostly
HK is attending the simulcast
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
...so I'll have to shoot for the 23rd or 24th.
Pix and video:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thecomicscomic.com/2014/07/02/scenes-from-the-first-day-and-night-of-the-2014-monty-python-live-reunion/">http://thecomicscomic.com/2014/07/02/sc ... e-reunion/</a><!-- m -->

--tg
Quote:Giant dead parrot unveiled in London to pay tribute to Monty Python
A huge bird lies on its back at Potters Fields, near Tower Bridge, to celebrate the screening of the cult comedy troupe's live TV broadcast

[Image: 53338.jpg]

Written By
Radio Times Staff
11:28 AM, 14 July 2014
A 50 foot fibreglass bird was hung upside down by a crane this morning at London's Potters Fields to mark the forthcoming TV screening of Monty Python's live show.

The world famous dead parrot sketch, in which John Cleese attempts to return a deceased 'Norwegian Blue' parrot to a pet shop, features in the current Monty Python Live (mostly) farewell show and will appear when UKTV channel Gold screens the final performance on Sunday.

"We are all Monty Python fans so we were delighted to receive the brief from Gold to recreate the mythical Norwegian Blue on a giant scale," explained lead sculptor Iain Prendergast, who helped build the enormous model bird, which took more than two months to make.

Steve North, general manager of Gold, explained that the massive parrot near London's Tower Bridge is "a fitting tribute" to the Python's famous sketch. Yet Prendergast said building the thing wasn't easy:

"The key challenge for us was capturing the comedy value of the dead parrot, keeping the realism of the bird whilst also adding touches like the bloodshot, stunned eyes," he explained.

The huge bird will be delivered to the O2 Arena, where the Python live stage show is taking place.

"It’s a huge step in Gold’s evolution to be part of such a significant national event and to be broadcasting it live so that everyone can be there," explained Richard Watsham, UKTV director of commissioning. "Monty Python is arguably the most influential comedy group the country has ever known and it’s a matter of great pride that they’ve trusted us with celebrating their very last night together."

Gold will screen the final Python show live on Sunday 20 July, following a backstage programme which is expected to follow comics Idle, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones and Michael Palin as they prepare for the performance, and could also see appearances from celebrity fans.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-07-14/giant-dead-parrot-unveiled-in-london-to-pay-tribute-to-monty-python">http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-07- ... nty-python</a><!-- m -->
I had been looking forward to seeing this all week. I would have seen the actual live broadcast, but I was on a plane returning from DallASS, so I waited for last night's final replay, which was supposed to be showing downtown.

Only it wasn't. It showed on Wednesday night downtown and was listed on some of the Cruz entertainment pages on the web (the ones that I looked at unfortunately) but the Royal decided not to show it again due to construction. I had rushed home ahead of the commute and was crushed to discover that the nearest theater that was showing it was the one at Auto Mall, one exit away from my office.

Fortunately, there was a showing in Monterey, and T was into making the trek, so we braved the rush hour on HWY 1, and made it just as the replay was starting.

NOTE: THERE WILL BE SPOILERS
It was bittersweet. The show opened with Chapman and a title card that said "One down, five to go". There were many moments honoring Chapman, even his birth year and death year at the end, followed by the same for Monty Python (died 2014) and another title card that said "piss off". The dead parrot was said to be seeing Dr. Chapman. Overall, it was great to see Python reunited, although the show was uneven and relied way too much on clips from the original show. We've seen all that. They used it to cover the costume and set changes, but they also had big Broadway-style dance numbers to do that (heavy Idle influence there), so the repeated clips were a waste of time - easily half an hour was dedicated to them. They opened with Four Yorkshiremen, which was really fitting and stood out as one of the best skits of the show. The rest of the skits relied heavily on Cleese/Palin routines (Argument Clinic, Dead Parrot, Cheese Shop) but that was fine as those are some of my favs. Cleese's voice seemed ragged from ten shows and he lost his place twice, asking "Where are we?" to great comedic effect. He seemed tired, but still hit his timing marks. Idle was the most vibrant, singing and dancing like an old Vegas showman. Apart from his lined face, he hardly seems to have aged. Gilliam was boorish and crass, very 'murican like usual (it was really his animation that got him in, not his sketch comedy work). Jones looked out of it and was clearly reading cue cards (Cleese even took over for him during Crunchy Frog) but he retained much of his outrageous expressions. The lines on Palin's face has given him more range for his funny faces, and the mischievous sparkle in his eyes is as bright as ever. Carol Cleveland was there too - tough for her to play the hottie foil at her age, but she did so as gracefully as she could. There was a lot of music, mostly the most offensive songs. And there was some updating of the routines. The Penis Song is now three verses, the new two being The Vagina Song and The Butt Song. The Gay Barristers sketch poked fun at Cleese's divorces. There was some major ribbing of Palin's travel show during Death of Mary Queen of Scots/Penguin on the Teley. Cleese and Palin got sidetracked with a rant against some negative reviews during Dead Parrot. "That's Japanese" was added into I Like Chinese after the line "tiny little trees". There were odd cameos from Mike Myers and Stephen Hawking. It was sad to see them all so old and clearly ready to put Python to bed. But at the same time, it was great to see them reunited. Even though the show fell a little below the mark and was expensive ($18! and not even in 3D or IMAX), I enjoyed watching it. It's PYTHON. I worship them.

T enjoyed it even though she hasn't seen that much Python. It was a little awkward during some of the bawdier numbers like Sit on My Face, but she's old enough now.
This post from Michael Palin's facebook breaks my heart.

Quote:[/url][Image: 10945641_624818974310346_478951776579219...e=5883AB36]

Michael Palin

Like This Page · September 24 · 
[url=https://www.facebook.com/themichaelpalinpage/photos/a.624866127638964.1073741828.589950754463835/952322611559979/?type=3&theater#] 

[Image: 14440754_952322611559979_311832204281212...e=586738E4]

Terry J has been my close friend and workmate for over fifty years. The progress of his dementia has been painful to watch and the news announced yesterday that he has a type of aphasia which is gradually depriving him of the ability to speak is about the cruellest thing that could befall someone to whom words, ideas, arguments, jokes and stories were once the stuff of life. Not that Terry is out of circulation. He spends time with his family and only two days ago I met up with him for one of our regular meals at his local pub. Howard Johnson, an American friend of Python, was in town and took this picture. Terry doesn’t say very much but he smiles, laughs, recognises and responds, and I’m always pleased to see him. Long may that last.