Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yearning @ Cavalry Episcopal Church
A piano quintet held in the lovely church downtown.

Halloween for Piano Quintet, Charles Ives - a cacaphonic discordant mess of sound that makes you ponder why 5 musicians would want to work to play it. There was a post who talked over it that was a bit annoying because we just wanted to here the piece. Stacy is a big fan of Ives.

Piano quintet in f minor opus 34, Johannes Brahms - this is what we came to hear. A fine rendition but the piano was off - part was the pianist made some mistakes, part was it wasn’t a decent grand, probably just the church’s grand that needed a tuning. But still, the piece was a rollicking rollercoaster ride, darting from idea for idea, constantly making me think I’d heard it referenced in later pieces like John Williams (such a poacher he is)

Allegreto quasi andantino for piano quintet opus 49, Enrique Granados - a soulful piece that was too short. Actually this was my fav of the evening.

Scherzo from piano quintet opus &1 no 2, Antonio Dvorak - again the the poet although this wasn’t original like the first but a reading from Rumi. It worked a little better but we still would’ve just preferred to hear the quintet.

It was a very pleasant evening.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse