Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr. Harrigan's Phone (2022)
The Queen is going to be so displeased she's missing out on all these great films.

This film isn't bad, it's just nothing happens except for a big commentary on cell phones. From the outset, you know what's going to happen. Especially if you have read the short story the film is based on. Yes, I have read the short story so my chances of being surprised were quite slim. I was hoping for a really cool execution.

Basically, a young boy without a mother is hired by a billionaire to read to him because the billionaire's eyesight is starting to go. The Billionaire is played by Donald Sutherland. ( I also watched Donald earlier in the day in Dirty Dozen) Sutherland plays the majority of his role from a chair. This relationship goes on for years from when Craig, the young boy, is 10 until his first years of high school. At some point Craig gets and iPhone and then he gets Sutherland an iPhone. Naturally Craig gets bullied in High School because that is the only thing that happens in High School. This sequence takes up the majority of the film. Craig reads to Sutherland in his chair and Craig goes to High School. Craig also has awkward relationship with his Dad, who is dealing with his own grief.

So, a lot of nothing happens for a long time then something you expected happens and then the film ends. You could argues that it was a character driven piece with a strong social commentary. but you could also argue that it doesn't.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm