Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gray Man (2022)
I read the book and when this movie started, I thought, what fun they took one of the other novels in The Gray Man series and made the movie from that. As the movie progressed, I realized they had indeed made the movie from the book The Gray Man only wholesale changes had been made, maybe not for the better. Sorry time for some movie to book comparisons In the book, the Gray Man was the Gray man. That was his moniker because he was very nondescript. In the movie, he is known as Six as in the sixth member of the Sierra team. If you get formal, he is Sierra Six. Gray men are just shadowy operatives working in the gray areas of society. So Sierra Six is just a Gray Man. Kind of detracts from the whole myth of The Gray Man.

But the movie does follow the format of kill squads from everywhere sent to hunt him down after bad things happen. There is also a mcguffin that everybody wants to give impetus to everyone running around shooting and blowing things up. They gave Sierra Six a tragic backstory to give him impetus to be the way he is. The man in charge of all the hit squads is a psychopath with lust for blood rather just another professional trying to do his job of bringing in Sierra Six.

There are lots of louds and booms and big action sequences. A lot of the movie is just filler between the set pieces. The fight sequences are choppy and not really innovative. A lot of times the fighters have things in their hands, like smoke grenades or flashlights to add textures to fights that probably don't need textures.

And everyone gets quips! I always enjoy that.

In the end, despite the big bangs and fist hitting, it felt rather tedious.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Huge interactive exhibit in the gaslamp for this at sdcc - in begins with a crashed train. Huge line too.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Enjoyable, if too formulaic, actioner. I had not read the book(s) so I was spared that. That said, it was big budget, big boom, and mindlessly entertaining. Chris Evans and his mustache were the best things in the movie. If you want to see a lot of bullets and no small amount of boom, you could do worse.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Well, now I understand the crashed train exhibit. 

It was a predictable globetrotting empty actioner. Gosling plays it stoic and is now pretty buff. Evans is a cheesy villain and yes, the trash stache helps. Thorton kinda phones it all in as the Gray Man's ally. Henwick was okay - nice to see her again even if her role was simplistic. Armas was hawt.

The action was choppy but the frenetic camerawork was impressive. There were some remarkable shots, which I imagine were drone derived as the camera zipped through environments moving from one bit of the story to another in a swirling flight. Typically, I disdain action that obscures what's happening. But the fights were followable and decently constructed. They had a good fight team and this was so much about over-the-top action that worked for me. 

So much firefight and boomy boom. Quite gratuitous with the ultravi but not particularly gruesome, except for the implictions of the torture scenes. 

I shared Evans' frustration that no one was able to shoot Gosling. His comments toward that struck me as kinda funny, but not lol funny, just mildy amusing in an ironic way. 

I'm going to say it's not D00M recommended because the D00MBros that might be interested have already seen it, except maybe cf.
Duly tempted.  If they would just tweak the title to The Gary Man, I'm in.
I'm nobody's pony.
Quote:'The Gray Man' Sequel With Ryan Gosling Set at Netflix

A spin-off movie from 'Deadpool' writers Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese is also in development.

Netflix’s spy thriller The Gray Man is getting its own universe at Netflix.
The original feature, which was produced with franchise potential in mind, will be getting a sequel, as well as a spin-off movie. 
As for the spin-off, plot details are being kept under wraps, but Deadpool writers Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese are behind the script. 
The Gray Man, which premiered on Netflix’s streaming service on July 22 after a limited theatrical run starting July 15, is based on the best-selling book series by Mark Greaney. The movie stars Gosling as secret agent Six, who was being tracked down by a sociopathic mercenary, played by Chris Evans, at the behest of a top government official hoping to hide his own wrongdoing. 
Critics were mixed on The Gray Man, which has a 48 percent rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, with the THR review calling it “an overstuffed spy tale partly redeemed by its leads.” But viewers have been more receptive. The Rotten Tomatoes audience rating for the thriller is 91 percent and, according to the streamer, The Gray Man debuted as the No. 1 movie in 92 countries with 88.55 million hours of viewing in its opening weekend. That’s the best debut for a Netflix movie since The Adam Project collected 92.4 million hours in March, according to the company’s internal rankings. 
AGBO is also behind another Netflix franchise. The 2020 Chris Hemsworth-starring Extraction will be getting a sequel due out in 2023. 
“With so many amazing characters in the movie, we had always intended for the Gray Man to be part of an expanded universe, and we are thrilled that Netflix is announcing a sequel with Ryan,” said the Russos, who are also working on the film Electric State with the streamer. 
Scott Stuber, head of global film, added, “With The Gray Man, the Russos delivered an edge-of-your-seat spectacle that audiences around the world are loving. We’re excited to continue to partner with them and the team at AGBO as they build out The Gray Man universe.” 
Yeppers. I'm reading another book in the series( Yes. Punishment ==> Glutton) It has a distinct Jack Reacher vibe about it, but assassin rather than MP.

I did appreciate some of those flying camera shots. From a technical standpoint, this movie was pretty good.
I watched it tonight.  Solid actioner.  Wow.  Seems no one in this business dare have any friends, family or relatives.
I'm nobody's pony.
I’ve already forgotten what this was about - was it recovering the missing nuclear weapon/virus/microfilm/flash drive/whatever?
Exactly.

Though it might be a bit of a spoiler, let me mention the gun-feat that most impressed me.  Near the end, the managerial lady wants to have a chat with the Gray Man, but knows he won't sit still for it, despite being seriously perforated already.  So she does what no US police officer dares attempt:  She shoots him in the leg.  Successfully, and from a distance.

I realize this concept is very European.  Still, I believe this movie should be required viewing by all U.S. law enforcement personnel.
I'm nobody's pony.
(07-27-2022, 03:52 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I did appreciate some of those flying camera shots. From a technical standpoint, this movie was pretty good.

I stand corrected - those weren’t drone shots. It’s a relatively new thing called warpcam.
Seen it...nice, light consumable fare...

What happened to the penultimate boss/mercenary? It seemed like that was a loose end.

--tg
Tamil Tiger? In the Wind, possibly to reappear in a later movie?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.