Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arjun: the Warrior Prince (2012)
A beautiful Indian animated film retelling some episodes of the Mahabharata. It’s cgi environments with rotoscoped figures all in glorious detail and color. I loved the look and style of it. 

The retelling only worked for me to a point. Arjun is a tad too wimpy for me. I get that they tried to show his inner conflict but he comes off as hesitant and he was the center of it all. There was a wild twist in how the story moved from a storyteller and a prince to the story itself but it didn’t quite work for me either.

What did work was the action. There’s some really good sword fights. It looks like they were using kalari moves and the weapons were authentic. The urumi scenes were good and the battle between Arjun and his master was excellent for animation.

It’s astonishingly hard on non-humans - lots of animals get chopped and Arjun.goes all berserker on some dream demons…or rakshashas. I guess they were all dream stuff. That part was a bit confusing. 

Some of the story you just have to know to understand like the queen wears a blindfold because when the king went blind, she vowed to join him. That’s a cool side story of the Mahabharata - it’s a huge epic with so many mythic tales and tangents. 

Overall I enjoyed it. D00M recommended for animation fans. If you don’t know the Mahabharata, you should. It’s one of the greatest epics of all time and at the core of Indian culture.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse