Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gunhild Carling @ Paper Wing Theatre, Montery
I was wandering around Cannery Row w/my daughter this afternoon. We passed by and heard the music coming from the 6pm show. The sign outside said: "Gunhild Carling - Sweden's Queen of swing". I forgot that I'd seen it mentioned on upcoming event calendars and was curious...it seemed like good music. My daughter said she wasn't interested, so I drove her back home and tried to rally some friends to join, but no one wanted to go, so I went back by myself for the 8pm show. It was Gunhild, her niece (sax, clarinet), daughter (trombone), a guy on sax, a guy on piano, a guy on stand up bass, her husband on one guitar (hiding in the corner which was weird), a Django gypsy guitar guy, and then her son on drums.  It was much like this:

In addition to singing, Gunhild plays everything: trumpet, trombone, recorder, harmonica, ukulele, but it wasn't until the second to last song, when she brought out the pipes and played amazing grace, swing style that I figured out that I'd seen her on the YouTube before:

Pretty amazing family, I was impressed. 

--tg