Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal Lords (2022)
I know this is totally off brand, and it's probably the Covid talking, but I liked Metal Lords.

It's a teen comedy (comedy ish) about two friends who put together a heavy metal band in order to be in the Battle of the Bands. Or they want to be in a Heavy Metal band and the Battle of the Bands is the way they can show all their cruel class mates how cool they are. Hunter is the driving force of the band, having an encyclopedic knowledge of heavy metal bands from the 70s through the 90s, which is odd for a movie in 2022. Kevin is Hunter's best friend who is along for the ride because his best friend is so passionate about it. Emily is the girl that comes between them. The plot was full of the High School comedy cliches that then become not the cliches. There is the High School star bully. There is the rich kid throwing the party at his house because the parents are away. Oddly, Hunter is just as rich as the other rich kids. He is just as big a bully as the jock. In the middle there is some frank talk about mental illness. So, the film skews just enough from the norm to be likable. Metal Lords isn't a great big showy film, but it is full of really nice moments.

No swords fights. But kind of a fun car chase. And one really good cameo scene.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm