Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Operation Mincemeat (2022)
I remember this story from my childhood. I believe there was a book out called "The Man Who Never Was" Now it's a movie. Coming out in May.

As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

There was a movie as well. DIdn't they use a pneumonia victim to appear drowned carrying fake documents to fool the Germans?
the hands that guide me are invisible
My memories of the operation are hazy, but sure.

Solid WW2 drama about the effort to trick the Germans into believing the invasion would be into Greece rather than Sicily. I am currently well versed about the Sicily invasion, at least the air mission. Colin Firth does a good job. Director John Madden is solid as always. Basically, Colin Firth is in charge of Operation Mincemeat which is going to drop a dead man off the coast of Spain with top secret documents that point to the idea that Greece is the actual invasion site and Sicily is just a bluff. No one likes the idea but Winston Churchill.

There is a weird subplot love story between Colin Firth's character and a young secretary as they mistake their own lives with the love story created for the dead man. It does have some moments but does look like it was tacked on to fill out the story. There is also the jealous of Firth's second in command who thought he was supposed to get the girl. But the affair is very chaste and British.

It was fun to see the story fleshed out. I bought the book The Who Never Was  years ago which also tells this story. I really should have more than the back cover.

An odd yet enjoyable Brit spy tale. 

Mr. Darcy v Mr. Darcy for the attentions of the ever enchanting Kelly Macdonald, who I’d be satisfied just to hear her read the the ingredient off cereal boxes in that lovely accent of hers (sadly it’s toned down here which is really my only complaint). 

It’s a strangely captivating story for something slightly mundane (bts intelligence work) which - to echo Greg - I’d attribute to solid direction.

Hp factor 2 - aforementioned Rowena & Lucius. Downton 1 - mrs crawley. 

There’s a writer’s meta angle as the operatives write the narrative of their scheme surrounded by military men writing novels and the chaste romance subplot. Also, Ian Fleming is a character so we see the origins of M and Q, plus Bond’s watch saw. That was cute. Maybe the writer’s angle appealed to me more that it might for most because it was more of an undertone that an overt motif.

There was dry Brit humor, some nice period elements, spam, spam, spam, liquor, and spam, lindy hop, and plenty of gentlemanly behavior.

For D00Mers who like Brit WWII dramas…
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
(04-06-2022, 01:35 PM)Greg Wrote: I remember this story from my childhood. 

I remember this thread from this week. Or maybe it was an alternate multiverse - http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=7023
Shadow boxing the apocalypse