Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bigbug (2022)
A French sci-fi comedy on Netflix. An impulse watch. Not bad. Not great. Quirky. French. 

It had an amusing style, although a bit uneven. A group of people get trapped in an AI driven home for the bot uprising. But the homeowner collects antiques, including old bots so they don’t comply with the updates. 

There’s some fair satire in the vision of the future - bugs for food, cloned dogs, floating ad drones, sex bots, a tv show where bots treat humans like animals. The bots are good, particularly the maid bot and the evil bot. Lots of cgi and some grating color schemes but that’s intentional satire. 

There’s a Pinocchio syndrome with the bots trying to understand humor (seen with Data in Star Trek TNG). There’s love and sex because it’s French. There’s some philosophical ruminations and poetry because again, it’s French. I did like the world it built, as well as the French maid bot. 

I liked it because I didn’t have to think about it or take notes for a review. I didn’t think it was that good though, just a pleasant distraction for an hour and a half plus.

From the director of Amelie, Jean-Pierre Jeunet

Not D00M recommended unless you’re really into French sci-fi satires.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Essentially a live action version of this Love, Death + Robots episode:

...but with a with a bunch of people stuck in the house together: the spurned wife, the ex, and their daughter; the wife's new love interest and his son, the ex's young fiancee, the annoying neighbor and her gigalo bot, and the house robots who all have a Pinocchio complex. This sets the stage for all kinds of farcicle interactions. A horrifying day-glo bladerunnner world.

As DM said, pretty un-even. Great special effects, but in the end, not all that compelling or laugh out loud funny.

--tg
Fair point about L,D+R. I hadn't put that together but you're spot on there.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse