Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Professor and the Madman
I did not know what to expect out of this and was pleasantly surprised. It's a serviceable period piece about the birth of the Oxford dictionary. Who knew there was so much drama! Mel Gibson is good as the lexical Professor from Scotland. Sean Penn is the Madman - a civil war doctor on trial for killing a perceived assailant, is found not guilty by reason of insanity and institutionalized. It takes awhile for the two paths to cross, and it has the slow pacing of any good BBC drama. 

-- tv
The book was so good that I did not want to see a fictionalized version. Simon Winchester is a very good non-fiction author and worth your time if you like this sort of thing
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Gibson is on my cancel list for political reasons, just like Gina Carano.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
(02-07-2022, 12:46 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Gibson is on my cancel list for political reasons, just like Gina Carano.

Yeah, I was hesitating because of that, but I have to give him credit, he's pretty good here, in spite of being an asshole. (To be sure, Senn Penn is also a bit of an asshole and I'm curious how the two of them got along on the set...)

--tv