Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I’m thinking of ending things
This is from the creator of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It’s a small cast and was probably done during COVID. It stars Jessie Buckley (Nurse Oreatta Mayflower from Fargo Season 4) as “young woman” (according to the captions) tho she’s called Lucy and some variations of that. Her boyfriend is played by Jesse Plemons (who you’d recognize from tons of roles, including the starship captain from that Black Mirror episode). The story is told in 3 parts: the 2 of them driving thru the snow to his parents house in the country to meet her for the first time; the visit with the parents (Mr Weasly and the actress from United States of Tara); the drive back, now thru a blizzard. 

The story is intentionally confusing and vague. The pacing really slow. The first part is a bit like My Dinner With Andre. The visit with the parents is more like The Shining crossed with the end of 2001 (I just realized those are both Kubrick, but I wouldn’t say this is very Kubrick like, just the setting/feeling is similar to those other films. Cold. Quiet. There’s no music in the film. It’s quite empty feeling. Act 3 is where everything goes crazy (there’s even a musical number), but it becomes more and more obvious what is going on. 

Meh. Truly an effort to get thru. 

Not recommended

—tg

My mistake, HPF Remus Lupin, not Mr Weasly.