Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sooryavanshi (2021)
It's been a while since I've checked in with Bollywood, and a while since I've seen anything by Akki (Akshay Kumar for those of you non-Bollywooders). Oh man, what a flick to come back to...

I'm not going to post the trailer. I'm just going to post the end credit dance number. It's trailer-esque...

This is Rohit Shetty's 4th installment in his Cop Universe. The first was Singham, which I thought I saw but now I think it has just languished in my queue forever. These are absurd cop auctioneers - and I assume this based on Sooryavanshi. It's kinda like what I imagine it's like watching the MCU if you don't get the humor or the context. 

Yes, it has gratuitous walking away in slow motion with explosions in the background. It has excessive aviator shades. It has ridiculous car flipping physics. It's ultraviolent but the guns all make the same sound except when they kill terrorists, then they make a more fwippy sound. It's not too sanguineous. There are dance numbers. There are bad jokes, although the ridiculous entrances of the heroes is a running joke and that's self deprecatingly funny. 

As an example of the humor, the cops (the good guy - Akki specifically) are torturing a muslim Pakistani terrorist who they have hanging from his arms by taking his wife and daughter into the other room and whipping them. But it's a ruse. They don't really whip them. Akki whips a bench and two female cops scream as if they're being whipped. The first copess moans too much and Akki scolds her for being too erotic. I'm sure that got laughs with the Indian audience but it was cringeworthy. 

It's Akki so there's some mano-a-mano fights and he delivers a nice one-er. There's also Simmba, who is the comic relief star of the third film and his fight is absurd, almost funny. Overall, the action isn't bad, just too much slo mo. 

I don't know what to make of this. I haven't kept up with Bollywood and my callouses have gone soft. I did finish it, so it wasn't gawdawful. Nor was it over the top absurd. It's nationalistic propaganda for sure. It's colorful. It's loud. Whenever Sooryavanshi enters in dramatic slow mo, his theme song plays, chanting his name over a trumpet fanfare, a rudimentary drum barrage accentuated by sirens. 

Katrina Kaif is still smokin hawt. Akki is getting old (he's just a few years younger than me). 

It takes place in Mumbai, which is close to where we rented an apartment when we lived in India. Many of the sites were familiar. 

I guess I enjoyed it. Sort of. At one point, I felt guilty wasting my time on it. 

Not D00M recommended. If you ever want to jump down the Bollywood rabbit hole, I have plenty of other films to recommend. 
Shadow boxing the apocalypse