Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tick Tick Boom (2021)
Tick Tick Boom is the story of  Jonathan Larson who wrote the musical 'Rent'. Before there was Rent, there was the one man show about a young man struggling to write a science fiction musical called Superbia . Lin Manuel Miranda of Hamilton fames directs this adaption of the play. Andrew Garfield stars as Larson. Larson's big fear in the Rock monologue is that he is about to turn 30 and he hasn't accomplished anything yet. Larson also lives on the edge, behind on his bills and barely able to make rent. The action jumps from a theater setting where Larson performs the songs to him singing the songs in actual settings. The film does have a certain sense of style and uses the expanded canvas to great effect. I think the one song everyone will talk about is the setting in the Moondance Cafe where it is filled with broadway luminaires such as Joel Grey, Bernadette Peters, Patti Lupone and others. A few cast members from Hamilton also make an appearance. (Moondance is odd for me because that is where Mary Jane Watson works in the first Spiderman movie with Tobey Maguire) Stephen Sondheim is a character in the film because he crosses paths with Larson at a workshop. The funniest scene in the movie is the panel with Sondheim and Richard Kind as a critic. 

I wish I was more familiar with the songs because none of them came across as any good. I also confess to never having seen Rent.

Not Doom recommended.

Quote:“When I screened the movie for Sondheim, he emailed me and said, ‘You treated me very gently and royally, for which I am grateful,’” Miranda said. “But he said, ‘One thing: The last voicemail message to Jon, it sounds a little cliché. ‘I have a feeling you’re going to have a very bright future.’ I would never say that. Can I please rewrite what Sondheim says in the voicemail? I’ll record it if you can’t get the actor back.’”
At that point, Sondheim ended up recording his own version. “I’m not turning down a Sondheim rewrite!” Miranda said.
In the scene, Sondheim ends up telling Larson, “It’s first-rate work and has a future, and so do you. I’ll call you later with some thoughts, if that’s OK. Meanwhile, be proud.”
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(11-29-2021, 06:45 AM)Greg Wrote: I was thinking of catching this and now I'm not.

Would it work if I just fast forward to the fight scenes?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Yes.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm