Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tree of Blood (El árbol de la sangre - 2018)
A Spanish artsy drama thriller starring Tokyo & Sierra from Money Heist. 

A writer couple start working on their intertwined life stories - a complicated web of sex, madness, murder, suicide, love, and the Costa nostra. It has an unusual narrative style with each writer revealing some part of the story, combined with the writers appearing in the flashbacks as observers. It eventually catches up with itself upon completion of the significant flashbacks and moves forward in regular time.

It’s sexy. There’s a lot of nekkidness and many orgasms. Tokyo leaves nothing to the imagination. On top of that, she delivers a terrific performance, layered and authentic. She can truly act. This reaffirms my fanboying of her.

It’s a tightly interwoven tale that has that poetic sense of rhyme and foreshadowing. And in that oh so Spanish way, bulls and cows figure prominently and symbolically.. and somewhat randomly. Bovines are a storytelling device here that could be a thesis of a film studies paper. It’s one of those movies that almost needs a diagram to follow everyone connections. 

Shot in some beautiful locations and sumptuous manors, it’s quite easy on the eyes.

I enjoyed it but I confess it was the Money Heist cast that kept me captivated. Not sure if it would work for non fans as well.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse