Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Icarus (2018)
Desperate for a movie to watch, the Queen and I stumbled upon this academy award winning documentary on Sunday night.

The premise at the start was how do you show how easy it is to dope in high stakes amateur bicycle races. The documentary director and star of Icarus, Bryan Vogel decides to demonstrate this by enlisting the aid of some high level scientists and administering anabolic steroids into himself. The first scientist doesn't want to help because it was against his ethics but he did know a Russian scientist who could probably help him. The Russian scientist agrees to help Vogel cheat. The story spin out of control from there leading to the uncovering of Russia's massive doping scandal.

The movie was fascinating and tragic. Grigori, the Russian scientist, saw a lot of parallels to his situation and George Orwell's 1984. Icarus does do a good job of showing exactly how the state sponsored doping was carried out at Sochi. They also talk about the pathetic response by the Olympic committee headed by Thomas Bach to the scandal.

One of the ironies for me was that film was partially funded by the Sachler Family who also helped fund the opiod crisis here in America.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm