Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Magician (2011)
I thought I might watch some Tony Leung films in the wake of Shang-Chi and this has been in my queue forever. It's a Hong Kong farce, a period comedy martial arts romance war film. It's hard to grok in that very HK way.

Leung plays a great magician dealing with a warlord named Bully Lei (Lau Ching-wan) who wears a cowboy hat and has a fancy six shooter and 7 wives, one of whom is Leung's fiancee, played by Zhou Xun. She's a martial arts master and her father is held captive by Bully. Bully also has a tank. 

It's one of those HK films that has cute cameos. This one includes Tsui Hark and much to my surprise, Daniel Wu. He's only in the beginning though, for a scene with a flying guillotine. 

I dunno about this film. It's nonsense but with that ol' HK style. I found myself amused at times, confused at others, and drifting off wondering what it all meant. There were some mildly funny bits - I particularly liked the shuriken scenes - and the ending surprised me, even though I was barely engaged anymore.

Leung and Zhao Xun are great as always as they trod through the silliness with their usual panache. 

Sword fights. Well, sort of. There's a nunchuk scene and twin short swords versus double ham hocks, plus an assortment of magic fights and odd combat scenes. Not particularly DOOM recommended unless you have a high tolerance for HK shenanigans (I'm looking at you, cf).
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Noticed you looking at me, DM.  Have now watched it.

A big mess of a movie.  Lots of outrageous action and CGId magic tricks, yet it still seemed way too talky.  Tony Leung is one of my favorite Asian actors, yet I wondered if he phoned this one in.  I don't think so.  There was so much over-acting by everyone else that it made his performance seem flat.  He obviously put in a lot of effort giving the sleight of hand a lot of flair.

But I wondered at times if it was really him.  There were enough close-up shots where you could clearly see his face, but he was awfully good waving that sword around.  Wushu-good.  He doesn't have a martial background, does he?  He was wearing an outfit with a high collar, which would have made it easier to CGI his head onto a stuntman's body.  Whether that was done, I just don't know.  He just seemed uncommonly athletic in some close-up shots where it was clearly his face.

Overall a bit too noisy and chaotic for me, but still enjoyed seeing Tony in an unusual vehicle (referring to this movie, not the tank).
I'm nobody's pony.
Leung has been doing movie martial arts forever. He's been in some of the most recognized Kung Fu cinema of all - Ashes of Time, Hero, The Grandmaster - so he's got skills. He delivers some nice fights in Shang-Chi, however there he is clearly deep-faked (as is Michelle). But that's an MCU where most of the fights are CGI anyway. 

Beyond that, I share your opinion on this. I did like Zhou Xun here too. She's one of my fav actresses as well.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse