Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
Stacy picked this saying she needed something mindless and funny. She just binged The Sinner, which she enjoyed (I didn’t tune into enough to warrant a review here). I suppose it was timely because this was the source of the Dr Evil/Bezos penis rocket meme.

Some of it holds up. I was never motivated to laugh out loud but I’d seen it before so I knew most of the punchlines already. It’s so NPC now - the sexism, dwarf jokes, and fat shaming - but that was the point back then. I had forgotten about all the cameos. It’s mostly about Dr Evil for me. 

The best part is the Starbucks schtick. Such self deprecating product placement for such a major corporation. I gotta hand it to Myers for pulling that one off.

Made me wonder what became of Heather Graham. I suppose I can just look that up if I get really curious. 

Also made me wonder what became of satirical farce feature films like this. Maybe it’s all gone the way of the Scary Movie franchise? I only watched part of one of those. I gave up when I realized that an opening scene was satirizing a film I had not seen so it didn’t work for me at all. I gave up on that genre when Stars was born.

Not particularly DOOM recommended although I imagine you’ve all seen it already. I only mention it because I spent an hour and a half watching it as I ate dinner and brushed Yuki.

Spelchuck swapped Tara for Stars.

Tara means Star.

Gonna let that one stand.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Heather Graham ==> Boogie Nights, Bowfinger
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(08-08-2021, 07:58 AM)Greg Wrote: Heather Graham ==> Boogie Nights, Bowfinger

‘97 & ‘99 (same year as shagged here). You are no help.

I looked it up. She’s been in something almost every year since. She was in Horns (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=3338) but apparently I didn’t notice her.
Did I look it up? No. Roller Girl is etched in my mind. Bowfinger was on the other day.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Yeah, I can name her old films. I think she first caught my eye in Drugstore Cowboy. That's not the point. I lost track of her a decade ago with The Hangover.