Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synchronic (2020)

Synchronic is a bit of drug pun. Heavy pot smokers are called 'chronic'. Synth drugs are so prevalent - you can pick them up at sleezy gas stations. Most are crap - ephedra blends and such. This film imagines a story any tripper has considered - what if a drug really took you to another dimension? Well, here it's another time.

A serviceable time travel thriller with the new Cap in a solid role (I'm really growing to enjoy Mackie). It also stars Tilda from Into the Badlands, Ally Ioannides, who I've interviewed, had dinner with, and taken some hugging selfies. Greg will remember her from the premiere. The last thing she said to me was a flirtatious taunt. The case were given spa passes at the press dinner. She was living with Emily (the Widow) at the time and she said I should join them at the spa. She was still a teen then and Emily shut her down with a 'don't tease the fanboys' glance. But I'll always remember that fondly.

But back to the film, it has it's moments. There's a wonderful swirling one-er at the beginning and talk of a sword (we see it but no sword fights). The plot, like many time travel tales, is riddled with logic faults and forces you to accept a lot, but Mackie carries it. Ally is good as the rebel teen daughter but there I'm hella biased. There's some interesting cinematography in the beginning, but that fades as the story progresses. I was bummed for the dog story arc but entertained overall. 

Like I said, no sword fights. Recommended for DOOM time travel aficionados, Mackie fans, and Tilda fanboys.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse